VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

Jayco

Question

Back in 2012 I applied for disability with the VA:  diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension.  They were all presumptive at that time.  They approved all three and I received back pay and started receiving monthly checks.  Then a few months later they removed hypertension but said I could keep all moneys already paid and that the monthly payment would stay the same.  Removing hypertension happened to a couple of other guys I know.  Monetarily no damage but would not be able to receive any treatment expense for the disease.

Now I see as of 2022 hypertension is on the presumptive list.  See anything wrong with applying for disability again for hypertension?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

What reason did they provide for removing it? Next, are you on any current medications for hypertension?  If you are I would definitely say you should reengage the VA so that you can have it properly documented and receive no cost treatment. Otherwise, if there is no economic harm I'm not sure of the end goal. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are a Vietnam veteran, re-apply. It is now presumptive, including for veterans who were in Thailand, Guam, etc. during certain time periods. (I still don't understand why they allowed then removed it.) Many reasons why you should reapply to get it service connected. Two biggies are 1) secondaries to hypertension, such as stroke, kidney failure, diabetes, etc. and 2) if married, your spouse can be eligible for DIC ($1500.00 /month) if it is a contributory reason for your death on your death cert. Submit before Jan 1st and you get EED of 08-10-22 (date of PACT Act implementation.)

About 3 weeks ago I filed a supplemental claim for Hypertension (HTN) and using the recent PACT II ACT as new evidence and stating that my Vietnam AGENT ORANGE exposure was the cause and aggravating source of my HTN.

A few years ago the VARO denied my HTN claim but now under the Agent Orange presumptive list I just filed again as a supplemental claim.

Supposedly the VA will not process the HTN presumptive claims until January 2023.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA should go back to the time you first filed for HTN due to AO.  That might mean some retro for you.  You should not have had to file again as I understand it, but it was a good idea anyway.

• HadIt.com Elder

Under the PACT Act, the effective date for HTN presumptive to AO is 08-10-22. No earlier by law. (The VA knew if it went in like usual, they would be slammed for earlier claim denials.) You could try for an EED if not filing presumptive, but for another cause.