Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does time of injury matter for VA Claim?

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Does time of injury matter?  Basically I was looking over my medical record and remembered I went to medical while in boot camp twice for lower back pain sustained in training along with shin splints.  After a couple of treatments I just let it go so I could move on with training and really never went back.  I've had back and shin issues over the years and basically treated it myself, but at this point it is even worth wasting my time with a VA claim?  I'm assuming I don't have much evidence other than it being noted in my medical record while in boot camp.  I wish I had see this years ago, but I was just trying to get though boot and move on.

13 minutes ago, Ranmic said:

Does time of injury matter?

Always keep the Caluza Elements in mind when thinking of filing claims. 1. An in-service incident, accident or event. 2. A current diagnosis and 3. A nexus or statement connecting 1. And 2.

For the most part symptoms must be active or chronic for about six months and a medical opinion that your current symptoms are at least likely as not caused by or related to your military service. As long as you can show the Caluza Elements, you should be fine, A lot of veterans self-medicated one way or another.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Generally, NO.  The VA tried a "bogus denial" with me.  I had applied for hearing loss, and the VA denied stated, "its been too long since military service".  

This is bogus.  The Va is supposed to rate us "on the critieria" (and only the criteria!).  Whether we have purple hair, listen to rock music, wear shoes from Tiawan, or its been 30 years since boot camp are all irrelevant and not in the criteria.  

When you appeal, you can cite the criteria, which, of course, has nothing to do with "time since military service".  

As explained by pacman, the Caluza elements are relevant, and are a valid basis of denial.  

But also, there are symptoms.  Even if you meet the caluza elements, but have no symptoms, the highest rating you can expect is 0 percent, or more likely a denial.  

I dont know what your current symptoms are, but that is what is relevant, along with the Caluza's.  

If you have little or no current symptoms, and/or your issue causes "0" loss of work, it may not be worth it for you at this time, unless you think it may get worse over time.  (likely).  

In a nutshell, most suggest "go for it" if you think military caused a current injury.  

If you got out and had no hearing deficiency listed, and then 20 yrs later you claim hearing loss, how do you think any competent audiologist is going to be able to derive a nexus from that? You're right, the criteria don't same "time out of service" but common sense would indicate that if you hadn't' complained about it in X yrs after, that other factors can cause hearing loss.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I'm not sure how long ago you got out or if you have been seeking treatment for the issues.  As far as the back and shins claim go, I think you have an uphill battle.  I got denied back and neck claims even though I had an in service incident, treatment after service, and a Dr. who gave his opinion that they were connected.  Not any joe blow Dr., but one who is very familiar with VA lingo.  I did not keep treatment records and put in the claim 20 years after I got out.  The treatment records get destroyed after 7 years I think, so I had a gap in treatment.  Denied!  Sure I could appeal it and probably win, but I am 100% P&T so I won't bother.

I did get service connected for hearing loss 20 years after I got out.  I also got service connected for TBI that caused my lifelong neck and back issues.  

1 hour ago, El Train said:

I'm not sure how long ago you got out or if you have been seeking treatment for the issues.  As far as the back and shins claim go, I think you have an uphill battle.  I got denied back and neck claims even though I had an in service incident, treatment after service, and a Dr. who gave his opinion that they were connected.  Not any joe blow Dr., but one who is very familiar with VA lingo.  I did not keep treatment records and put in the claim 20 years after I got out.  The treatment records get destroyed after 7 years I think, so I had a gap in treatment.  Denied!  Sure I could appeal it and probably win, but I am 100% P&T so I won't bother.

I did get service connected for hearing loss 20 years after I got out.  I also got service connected for TBI that caused my lifelong neck and back issues.  

You can look into a cue or 38 CFR 3.156(c)