Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris:

You won't be able to get a lawyer unless SS turns you down. I recommend that you make all appointments on time and also fill and mail back paper work as quick as you can.

When you fill out the paperwork I also suggest that you not list Docs that you saw who have nothing to do with your claim. The more Docs on the paperwork the more have to be checked out.

I am not suggesting that you not list a Doc cause you think they may not help you I am talking about Docs you saw when you were a kid who may not be available to provide records.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow Carlie:

I did not know that. How long before you won? I know in Texas the SS Lawyers usually advise to wait till SS turns you down.

I filed for SS in June of 1991 and was awarded SS in October of 1991. I saw a SS Psychologist and a SS Shrink and I provided copies of my VA Medical Records.

The reason I know a little about the SS Lawyers is that I have helped several good people with their claims and the Lawyer I recommend in Dallas seems to always win the claim. His name is Patrick Hudson.

• HadIt.com Elder

From what I have heard the SSA lawyers want you to be denied on appeal at least once before they get involved.

Guest terrysturgis

As Carlie did, I obtained an attorney from the start. I did the VA alone (of course I had HADIT help). I did not feel like learning all the SS info and as soon as I called the attorney's office and she heard I was 100% P&T the appointment was made. To make myself clear, I do not believe you are required to have an attorney from the start, you can file on your own. Your choice. Some here on the board have won SS on their own first try without an attorney, so it can be done. In Michigan it is a two year wait to get to the hearing stage.

Hopefully Philip will chime in and he has a lot of great info on SS. Take care. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Should you need an SSDI rep I recommend you go to www.nosscr.org for an atty/rep in your area. Most reps want to make as much money versus time spent working as possible, which is why many want the claim denied, once or twice, first. An atty doesn't really speed it up but can save time because they know what SSDI is looking for. jmo

Terry - Thanks for the compliment! I've ordered 4 of those books and should have them next week. I intend to go for an EED on my award - about 30 months retro. A little pricy but well worth it, if I can win. It would mean more work credits for me and a higher rate, plus the retro.

pr