kris

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris here is a little road map to follow.

Initial SSD claim Do not get an attorney

First denial Do not get an attorney

First appeal Do not get an attorney

2nd appeal Do not get an attorney

2nd denial Do not get an attorney

ALJ hearing Get an attorney.

The reason for an attorney is that 60 percent of SSD claims are automatically denied for not meeting the rating criretia listed in the Blue Book. The first 2 claims are done at the State level through the DDS ( Disability Determination Service)

The ALJ level is federal court and that is where most cases are won. Most attorneys advise the same except they can handle the appeal documents for you.

A major advantage for attorneys is that most have a network of Doctors they can send you to to get an IMO for your conditions. SSA also has MDS they can send you to but the exam may not be favorable for we must not forget who is paying the Doctor.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

JBasser.

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

I think a lot of the SSDI lawyers may end up doing VA claims as well. If they have a network of doctors that have an understanding of what the VA wants that will be helpful and probably put the DAV out of a job. I know a lawyer here in Tampa who does SSDI stuff and is thinking about doing claims for vets in a few months. I know the lawyers will be pissed when they find out about the stonewall they face from the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think John is correct. I may hire one myself in June as I feel I have 80,000 still on the table and I would suspect that the VA has a lot of back pay in the coffers.