Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone know what life insurance there are for TBI vets

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Is there Life insurance our there other then the VA SDVI insurance plan basically covers funeral cost if im lucky for my wife, my recent award was my increase from 70% to 100% for my TBI award letter dated September 22 2017. I met with a financial councilor who said I was eligibile for his listed life insurance companies due to my disabilities but my wife is. I know being just over my one year since my new rating and I honestly had no intentions of dieing so I just shrugged insurance off but I just wanted to know they will be ok if I pass kids and wife. Not sure how DIC works I’ve only been P and T since 11/16 and married since  9/2/11. What’s the criteria and will my kids still be eligible for. Their DEA benefits?

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Deductions for what, how many of the (3) VA Term $10K insurance policies did you request? (1) will be free, and the other (2) will be in the area of $1??.?? per month each. I think mine was about $114.00 per mos back in 2014.

Keep in mind, these are Whole Life Insurance policies and as such, they build a Cash/Loan Value that could be tapped if you're "Circling the Drain."

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the 10.000 freebie  from VA and another private policy from another carrier that was a lot cheaper than the VA 's extra life insurance policy &  added the spouse to that one too.

It seems I read something about Veterans with TBI or any type traumatic conditions that are S.C. can get an extra policy and its automatic to the Veteran when he is awarded a 100% TBI Rating. it's also free or very low cost.  If I read that all right?

https://www.military.com/money/insurance/supplemental-life-insurance/life-insurance-basics-part-1.html

Buck, that non-VA $10K policy, is it a Term or Whole Life?

• HadIt.com Elder

Its whole life Policy (by New Era)  its a 20.000 $ plus the freebie

I know that's not much but at least it will bury me and give the spouse a little shopping $$

Now if she goes before me, I'll  get her policy and its just 10.000

but will help put her away  besides.....> she says I can't go shopping  lol

Back in Nam days, enlisted had a $10K Policy, couldn't buy anything additional. Those of us that made it home never gave Life Insurance another thought till the Rug Rats were about to pop.

Certainly hope nobody takes this wrong, but then again you know I really don't care. I'll kiss your A$$ if the men that died in Nam weren't worth the same $400K + $100K that's available today. 

• HadIt.com Elder

What matters with life insurance is your age and if you have immediate severe health concerns such as a terminal condition or likely to become terminal soon.  When I was 50 years old I was able to get $250,000 in term insurance for small money. By the time reached 60 years the premium had hit the roof.  I used a company/broker that listed many insurance companies and I got 250K for about $700 a year, but I was 50 and in decent health except for non-life threatening disability.  The life insurance guys use your average life expectancy chart and then add in for severe conditions that might cause them a premature pay-out.  Can I ask how old you are and do you have a condition that might kill you soon?  Not too personal, but I don't sell life insurance or anything else. I have about every kind of insurance you can get so I have that kind of experience.   I had long term care insurance long before I became eligible for VA care.