Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Got 100% Pt

Rate this topic

Guest cbvet

Got my PTSD rated at 100% PT - The VA letter was date stamped on my Birthday!

The VA awarded the PTSD at 70% - IBS at 30% with a retro to July 1, 2005 the last day worked for IU.

What a difference this will make with the family. I have been doing some better since I stopped work on July 1. I lost 29 pounds and 2 pant sizes which was greatly needed. Now I am back to the pant size I was in 83 when I left the Navy.

I went though quit a depression end of July because I lost my dog that was 17 years old and my best friend. I still miss her but I am making better friends with my wifes German shepard - diffently not my old hunting dog but the Shepard follows me and is now taking my morning walks with me.

My wife has help me apply for Social Security. I have all of my paper work in with the new rating from eailier in the month. I just mailed everything in this week. It would be nice to get but I know nothing how the Social Security works and hoping they will accept the VA ratings and the Comp exams (2 withing 6 months - the VA needed additional information from doctor for the PT) I hear that the Social Security turns down everyone the first time around.

I wan to give a big Special thanks to Peter for the emotional support he gave and great information he gave. Another special thanks to Bertha for the extra help needed for the wordings. A Giant thanks to every one else who helped for there is to many to name.

For those that know nothing about my claim:

I was honorable discharged from the Navy Seabee's in 1983 for sleep walking - anxiety disorder - IBS.

I applied for benefits within 2 weeks after release from the Navy in 1983.

Got 10% on neverous stomach disorder (never claimed the stomach problem but that is what the VA put for the reasons that the Navy discharged me) Recieved these benefits till this year.

With the help of Hadit I found out I could infact reopen my claim in January 2004 which I did. Found out what the Navy was calling Anxiety disorder back in 1983 is really PTSD! Once I found out what was wrong with me all these years and why my life sucked so bad was really a true condition and not just in my head as I was told in the Navy really helped to start to change my thinking alot!

I still have major problems because of the PTSD but I now know there are reasons for it and can work on ways to work around the problems. The panic attacks are still their but I am on stronger medication which is helping where the attacks are not lasting as long and as frequent.

My wife and I took a road trip for the first time in 21 years. We drove to Texas and back in 12 days. Was a nice trip but boy was I neverous and had sever panic attacks. I would not fly for thinking about not being able to get out of some place quick was not good for a airplane. The ride was good for I could stop when needed and not stay in one place to long - just a couple of hours here and there. We stayed with a friend who had a 350 acre place and golf carts to drive around her beautiful farm with. We only stayed 2 days but it was really quite and had our own place in their guess house. Might try that again looking back on it. My wife was great and very understanding on the long drive. We might not of stopped to much for I felt the safest in the truck and to keep moving. I might make a couple of short trips with her again as long as we can drive and not fly. (might one day be able to fly again but not yet)

So a big thank you to everyone for your help and support. Any input on the Social Security would be of great help

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Dave:

That is really good news and I understand the dog thing. We had to put a 15 year old retriever down this year and it is really hard but I have done it a few times and know its best for the dog not to suffer to much.

Call SS and start the work on getting SS it is usually not as hard as VA at least that is my experience.

Don't be a stranger.

Thanks for mentioning me as a help to you it really makes my day for me to know that I had a small part in encouraging a Veteran get their just deserts.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Got my PTSD rated at 100% PT - The VA letter was date stamped on my Birthday!

The VA awarded the PTSD at 70% - IBS at 30% with a retro to July 1, 2005 the last day worked for IU.

What a difference this will make with the family. I have been doing some better since I stopped work on July 1. I lost 29 pounds and 2 pant sizes which was greatly needed. Now I am back to the pant size I was in 83 when I left the Navy.

I went though quit a depression end of July because I lost my dog that was 17 years old and my best friend. I still miss her but I am making better friends with my wifes German shepard - diffently not my old hunting dog but the Shepard follows me and is now taking my morning walks with me.

My wife has help me apply for Social Security. I have all of my paper work in with the new rating from eailier in the month. I just mailed everything in this week. It would be nice to get but I know nothing how the Social Security works and hoping they will accept the VA ratings and the Comp exams (2 withing 6 months - the VA needed additional information from doctor for the PT) I hear that the Social Security turns down everyone the first time around.

I wan to give a big Special thanks to Peter for the emotional support he gave and great information he gave. Another special thanks to Bertha for the extra help needed for the wordings. A Giant thanks to every one else who helped for there is to many to name.

For those that know nothing about my claim:

I was honorable discharged from the Navy Seabee's in 1983 for sleep walking - anxiety disorder - IBS.

I applied for benefits within 2 weeks after release from the Navy in 1983.

Got 10% on neverous stomach disorder (never claimed the stomach problem but that is what the VA put for the reasons that the Navy discharged me) Recieved these benefits till this year.

With the help of Hadit I found out I could infact reopen my claim in January 2004 which I did. Found out what the Navy was calling Anxiety disorder back in 1983 is really PTSD! Once I found out what was wrong with me all these years and why my life sucked so bad was really a true condition and not just in my head as I was told in the Navy really helped to start to change my thinking alot!

I still have major problems because of the PTSD but I now know there are reasons for it and can work on ways to work around the problems. The panic attacks are still their but I am on stronger medication which is helping where the attacks are not lasting as long and as frequent.

My wife and I took a road trip for the first time in 21 years. We drove to Texas and back in 12 days. Was a nice trip but boy was I neverous and had sever panic attacks. I would not fly for thinking about not being able to get out of some place quick was not good for a airplane. The ride was good for I could stop when needed and not stay in one place to long - just a couple of hours here and there. We stayed with a friend who had a 350 acre place and golf carts to drive around her beautiful farm with. We only stayed 2 days but it was really quite and had our own place in their guess house. Might try that again looking back on it. My wife was great and very understanding on the long drive. We might not of stopped to much for I felt the safest in the truck and to keep moving. I might make a couple of short trips with her again as long as we can drive and not fly. (might one day be able to fly again but not yet)

So a big thank you to everyone for your help and support. Any input on the Social Security would be of great help

Thanks

Dave

Congratulations Dave. I lost two cats one was 21 and the other was 20. I really miss them but took in a stray shortly after my cats were gone. She has been a real gift. Have a celebration and remain well.

JIM LANE TDIU,T&P

Dave, that is just WONDERFUL news to hear-

I am happy for you and you can relax and enjoy a little now-

you had a great claim!

The SSA should fully recognize that you have this award and are unemployable.

Not everyone has major SSA problems.

The SSA awarded PTSD SSA to my husband based on his VA medical records-

they also went back to many records he had at the Newark, NJ VA- when he was first diagnosed with PTSD in 1983 or 1984 at 30 % at that time.

They used his last date of employment for retro.

We had some employee statements in personnel files and also some Voc Rehab records that I believe they used too-

I think this might help you- if you go to the SSA web site- there are many and maybe someone on board knows which site I mean-

they have a disability criteria that they look for when awarding PTSD.

I believe it is listed under Anxiety disorders.

We could support the SSA criteria with some specific med PTSD records.

The IBS should bolster the PTSD claim but I believe they will focus on the PTSD when they review your overall disability picture.

Make sure they know of any side affects of the VA meds too.

This is odd- I still wonder about it-SSA awarded Rod for PTSD, then it took 3 years after his death for the VA to finally award 100% PTSD posthumously.

SSA had VA records and never even sent him to an SSA shrink because they said they had more than enough medical evidence.

They had VA medical records that the VARO here said there was no record of-the Newark VA ones-

and the VA had -so they said) all the SSA records yet VA took about 5 years in all to award and SSA took about 4 months.

figure that???

I hope you have a GRAND birthday! You are being compensated for your sacrifice Dave-and we all know there is no cure for PTSD but still-you have every right to enjoy yourself a little-

I never forget, when a vet succeeds, that they would certainly rather be undisabled and

the same as they were before they served.

GREAT news! Berta