VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescrbed Meds And Disability Ratings.

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

OIC, va test results are rarely shared anyway and I didn't get needed treatment.

It's my turn.

H o o - R a h! & Thank you John.

CG'up!

Edited by cowgirl

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dicktracy,

I get Risperidone from VA for exacerbation of Anxiety and PTSD.

It's a 4MG TAB and the label states:

Take one-half tablet by mouth as needed for mood.

I do not take it on a regular basis.

I do take it (only at night) when I feel like I'm about to loose it,

and it just help's me sleep more comfortably.

Also, we have a family member that is Autistic and takes Risperidone

daily.

Risperidone is RX'd for many different uses.

jmho,

carlie

Hi Carlie,

I have just been prescribed Risperidone because of sleep issues but it raises my BP WAY too much. Kind of scary to me and I do not want to continue the med.

Thanks for your input,

dicktracy613

dicktracy,

If you are comfortable with your doctor - then I would discuss this with the doctor.

Perhaps there is a medication for you the doctor can get that won't have the side-effect

of elevated blood pressure.

If there is something that might help you, you doctor is allowed to order medications

for you that are not normally kept on the VA formulary list.

When a patient has a adverse reaction to a certain medication that's a substantive

reason for the doctor to order outside of the VA list of medications.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Dicktracy, are you sc for the sleep issues also? If VA doesnt offer a service, say a sleep clinic, you could request a consult. Brotherinlaw* used sleep clinic in his town, worked - so far so good. (*he is on heart, depression meds. etc)

Best to ya,

cg

Hi Carlie,

I have just been prescribed Risperidone because of sleep issues but it raises my BP WAY too much. Kind of scary to me and I do not want to continue the med.

Thanks for your input,

dicktracy613

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Carlie,

Thanks for your input,

dicktracy613

Talk to you PCP and ask is the BP is considered in the treastment aspect of the OSA. It is likely the reason for the HTN.

I had a Doc put me on a 100 Mg dose of Metropolol when bedtime came around. It worked. Bad thing is I take 5 different BP meds to help control. Metropolol, lisonipril, norvasc, HCII, Clonidine.

There are meds out there that can help you sleep. The biggest insomniac agent there is is Anxiety.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Regarding sleep issues. I have tried almost everything anyone can think of but believe it or not the CPAP works the best. Somehow if I set it up correctly I usually drop off and sleep pretty well. Mrs Pete says I don't snore when I use it also.

If you don't have a CPAP I wonder how the breathe right strips would work?

I saw a program about Marty Robbins the other day and was interested to find out he was a lot like me sleeping only 3 or 4 hours a nite.

I am one of those who sleeps only 3 or 4 hours almost every night. Many times I would not even go to bed but Mrs Pete makes me after 3 AM.She says she never bothers me when I am sleeping and takes the phone out cause I get so little sleep most of time