Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

At What Stage Was Your Ssi Or Ssdi Approved

Rate this question

ltate90

Question

I THINK EVERYBODY THAT IS APPLYING FOR SSI OR SSDI WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AT WHAT STAGE WAS IT APPROVED. THIS TOPIC WILL GIVE PEOPLE SOMETHING TO READ AND CONFIDENCE ABOUT THERE HOPES OF BEING APPROVED. WAS IT APPROVED AT INITIAL, RECONSIDERATION, ALJ (HEARING), COURT OF APPEALS, FEDERAL COURT. LET US KNOW.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Applied & denied 2005 but was homeless so didn't pursue claim.

Re-applied in Feb 2008, took a year to get denied twice and now approximately 2-year wait to see an ALJ in Oregon.

So, I'm focusing on VA PTSD & IU and then gonna write a request for On The Record decision after.

With Social Security it looks like it's key to really have your ducks in a row the first time; trouble is: all of the attorneys I contacted said, "Call me when you're denied."

My advice to any newbies would be to carefully examine the Blue Book:

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professional...ultListings.htm

And ensure that your ailments and documentation clearly match that. Pretend like robots are comparing the two as opposed to thinking humans, and you'll have a better shot.

Here's a 2004 graphic illustration:

2004 Allowances/Denials by Level

In a nutshell: 1st Claim: DENY 63% Appeal: DENY 86% ALJ: Allow 62% (Plus more may be approved with further action)

Kept thinking I would get better after surgery, not! So I finally applied for SSDI and within 6 months was granted. <_< The ssdi counselor wrote me and said to apply for va but I stalled a few years.

The va is another story. Been basically on their waiting list...or should I say on their baby list...have graduated from the bottle to the sippy cup and jr baby food jars...waiting for a big girl cup and grown up foods! (30 to deceased to sever to hearing to 50 to appeals and bva) now you see my progression with my va waiting list/baby list! :rolleyes:

SSDI staff were wonderful and I did majority by phone...then sent in records. Never met anyone in person. B)

I stopped working in July '07.

Filed in Jan. '08.

Was approved in april '08.

Sent them everything from my VA claim, and sent VA everything from my SSD claim.

I never had a hearing, my references called or anything. Just bam here ya go. This seems to be the case with alot of vets within the past 6 or 7 years.

Is it possible that SSD is taking up the slack for the VA? Kinda points in that direction, but who knows besides our good friends that wipe thier arses with our NODs.

First wanted to thank you all for your sharing your experience with Social Security. I saw that some of the members in this forum with 10, 20 and 50% SC get approved to SS. I did not think it was possible. I thought you had to be at least 70% unemployable. I stopped working in 2003 and I am 50% SC going to school online just so I can get Voc. Rehab $$. Is it possible to get SS if I am 50% enrolled in Voc Rehab. I have PTSD due to MST and Trygeminal Neuralgia (chronic painful nerve attacks that affect my face, requireing the use of percocet every 6 hours) I live in Hawaii (husband in military) and would like to apply if I could. Any advice.

~~ Caroline Montgomery ~~

I first filed my orginal claim for ssdi in april 08 got denied june 08, filed for reconsideration in july 08 and denied in Feb 09 during reconsideration hired allsup, refiled for alj hearing in march 09 and was approved on the record in august 09 onset date was june 07