was the cause for the actions that lead to discharge. i recently applied

for upgrade in discharge and told them i did not see any reason i needed

someone to represent me. is this going to be a battle? i sent them copy

of my disability award.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you were in less than three years, you were not entitled to a discharge board. Your commander would have been the sole authority on the discharge with the BCD or General Court Martial Covening Authority giving the final say. Examine the discharge packet. If you dont have it, apply to the DRB for an upgrade, they will obtain your file then ask you if you want to review your file prior to giving a formal presentation to the board. (Make sure you indicate on the application that you want to give a formal appearance before the Board, your chance of an upgrade is much higher) Look at the regulation they used to discharge you and determine that it is accurate. A common error that commanders make, is if a SM is court-martialed and found not guilty, they use the aquitted offense to support the admin discharge since the standard of proof is less(i.e. criminal is proof beyond a reasonable doubt whereas admin is preponderance of the evidence). Unless they obtain HQ Department approval first of thier respective branch, this is improper and the Appeals Board will reverse the discharge.

i don't deny that they had good reasons to discharge me as i was

not able to carry out my duties any more. when they discharged me

i saw a psychologist for about 15 minutes and he gave me a clean bill

of health. not once did he ask me about Vietnam or anything about

the time i had been hospitalized in Vietnam, for nervous condition.

the only thing is i should have been given a medical discharge as it

was obvious i was suffering from mental problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had my general discharge upgraded to honorable, but I asked for the upgrade within a year or two of my discharge. I had a hearing, and me and my representative told such a sad and true story some of the people in the room were crying. I felt so sorry for myself I almost cried. Anyway, after the first 3 years after discharge it gets harder to upgrade, but going from general under honorable to honorable should not be that hard. If it has been more than 15 years you have to gain the military's permission to appeal at a discharge review board. That can be tricky. If there is nothing for them to lose then they will probably do it. If they think you are after a pension forget it. For instance, if you ask that your discharge be changed to a medical with any sort of pension or payment you need a lawyer because they will just slam/dunk you for every technicality they can find to deny it. If you are getting significant compensation from the VA it is probably not worth the effort because you can't get both and VA is more. Kicking people out who are sick on general discharges has always been a cheap way for the military to get rid of people. Hence the large population of homeless Vietnam vets.

What Wings said is correct, you cannot go to the Board and say you want your Discharge Upgraded for Mental health reasons. The Board will be compassionate and tell you they appreciate your position, but they will deny the upgrade barring some exceptional reason which occurred outside the military. If you have already submitted, you can amend your request and I would do so immediately after doing some research. Your eyes will go cross-eyed reading the material in the research room but it is well worth it. Try to find a case that is similar to yours where te Board upgraded and use that as an example. Come to DC or whereever the Board meets. It is well worth the money especially since the upgrade is important to you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      First Post
    • kidva earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use