Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hired Lawyer

Rate this question

gp747

Question

i am sick of the whole mess i hired lawyer sent papers today. these vso's act like you are a pile of s--t when you try to get info out of them.i am sick of it ,they are worthless and more likely are to damage your claim rather than help. legal help for vets

is who i got . they were kind enough to extend my time for holding my files and i decided on them ,michael viterna.

if i do not hire lawyer i am going to really get screwed . this vso s--t isn't worth a damn and i am tired of their condescending e-mails when i want a simple answer.

i have no faith in vso's anymore and do not see what purpose they serve they sure haven't helped me ,what i have got was on my own.

they should be barred and let lawyers step in from the start,that would stop the backlog. the lawyers could get it right from the start and cut down on appeals .

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Lead Moderator

I think you hit the nail on the head. The VARO can screw us over because, to them, we are not real people. Just VA file numbers. If those same people were parked in front of us, and they could see the pain they caused, they would have more empathy. By referring to us as a "claim number", then they have no problem crunching numbers. I think that is probably much of the reason we get better results from judges..they get to see our faces, and at least part of the time empathize with us.

I am tired of being treated as a number with the VA. We are men and women who have served our country honorably, and deserve to be addressed by our name, not a file number.

Maybe I will resubmit my claim, with a picture of me and my family.

Edited by broncovet

I think you hit the nail on the head. The VARO can screw us over because, to them, we are not real people. Just VA file numbers. If those same people were parked in front of us, and they could see the pain they caused, they would have more empathy. By referring to us as a "claim number", then they have no problem crunching numbers. I think that is probably much of the reason we get better results from judges..they get to see our faces, and at least part of the time empathize with us.

I am tired of being treated as a number with the VA. We are men and women who have served our country honorably, and deserve to be addressed by our name, not a file number.

Maybe I will resubmit my claim, with a picture of me and my family.

Well Bronco, Personally i don't think that the face matters much either. The judge i went before really seemed compassionate and to have understood. i felt it, my SO felt it, the other SO in the room felt it, but in the end she remanded it back to one of the axmen who already p'd on it so much that between the age of the paper and the p it is yellow like the cowards who work for the VA and take money to deny deny deny.

Wouldn't we all like to have a blanket party for THEM?

I finally said the hell with it and hired a lawyer. They don't understand how frustrating it is for those of us with PTSD to have to deal with them and the stupid VSO's. I just cannot deal with their stupidity anymore and will gladly pay the 20% to a lawyer to get it handled. The advantage of a lawyer is that they have a dedicated person in the VARO to deal with so can get things done faster.

Vietnam 66, 67/68. Combat Aircrewman doing search and rescue in N Vietnam. HS-6

Combat Vets Association

So if you hire a lawyer does your case get decided faster then say if you wait for a dro review?

Do all lawyers take 20%?

• HadIt.com Elder
So if you hire a lawyer does your case get decided faster then say if you wait for a dro review?

Do all lawyers take 20%?

Decided faster, not sure but questionable for this reason:the overwhelming factor that I have seen with allowing lawyers into the system is better quality in the rating decision. Having the new laws allowing lawyers at earlier stages, I witness the claims involving lawyers getting far more attention by the most qualified staff. So, if the R/O can give an accurate decision on the first go-around, it would be quicker.

Do all lawyers take 20%?

no your case does not get decided any quicker BY USING A LAWYER HOPEFULLY IT GETS DECIDED BETTER!!

i just had a dro hearing back in february with my lawyer I'M still waiting after dro promised he would work on it real quick

UM HUM AND THE DEVIL HAS A DUNKIN DONUTS FRANCHISE IN HEAVEN

the va has a standard fee they pay to "all" lawyers IT IS 20% OF ANY VA MONEY OWED TO YOU THE VETERAN

AT THE TIME OF THE AWARD THE LAWYER IS PAID I BELIEVE DIRECT DEPOSIT TO HIM

LETS USE EXAMPLE OF A DRO HEARING WITH PRIVATE LAWYER HIRED BY VET BEFORE THE HEARING AT varo

you go to a dro hearing

so lets say you have retro issue the lawyer gets 20% of any retro IF YOU WIN

also at the dro hearing you have an smc issue the lawyer gets 20% of that IF YOU WIN

lets say also at the dro hearing you have a clothing allowance issue lawyer would get 20% of that

why a lawyer not the DAV or any NSO?

The VA is very clever at responding to veterans THEY KNOW YOUR BROKE, NOT A LAWYER AND THEY FIGURE IF YOU ARE SOME WHAT SMART YOU WILL GO WITH THE DAV OR SOME OTHER NSO GROUP

the VA responds to the Veteran using case law and federal case citation.

The DAV uses canned briefs and poorly trained quasi case workers.

The VA realizes vets have no money no lawyer so they are forced to accept an NSO or go it on their own . LIKE AT A CRAPS TABLE I SAY GOOD LUCK MIGHT WIN MIGHT NOT

when you have a good PRIVATE lawyer NOTICE I said a good private Lawyer hes going to write to the VA before the DRO hearing usually 1 month before

the lawyer will write a INDEPTH INVOLVED legal brief with legal opinion and case law THE VA MUST ANSWER THE LAWYER

NOW VA HAS TO GO DO LEGAL RESEARCH AS IN A LOT OF LEGAL RESEARCH DEPENDING ON HOW GOOD A LEGAL WRITER THE LAWYER TRULY IS

the VA right off is going to go and really HAVE TO hussle to answer the lawyer before the hearing or on the day of the hearing

most good lawyers can punch serious holes in the VA claims sytem WHY? BECAUSE ITS SCREWED UP AND VIOLATES VETS DUE PROCESS RIGHTS and win their clients an award

theirs an old saying in the legal system "ITS BETTER TO GET SOMETHING, THAN NOTHING"

i HAVE NOT SEEN ANY STATISTICS YET ON HOW THE PRIVATE LEGAL INDUSTRY IS DOING AGAINST VA

WHEN I GET THE RESULTS OF MY DRO HEARING I WILL POST THEM

THE LAWYER I USED WAS RECOMMENDED BY JIM STRICKLAND

BECAUSE I HAVE A COMPLEX MYRIAD OF ISSUES ACTUALLY ONLY A FEW WHERE DISCUSSED AT THE DRO HEARING BEFORE VA

IT WILL BE HARD TO DISCUSS HERE AND I WOULDNT DOUBT SOME VA EMPLOYEE'S VISIT THIS SITE

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS OKAY