Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Autopsys

Rate this question

Berta

Question

You all know I have three favorable IM0s that VA has not acknoweldged for my claim-and only the BVA- in remand actually acknowldged them and the fact VA has ignored them for years.

BVA ordered a Cardiologist's review of the claim.I just got the PA report (BVA had wanted this to come from a cardiologist)and I already have knocked down his review because he didnt have a clue.

Since BVA wanted VA to have a cardio doc do the report I got a cardio doc myself who will be preparing my 4th IMO.

One thing I overlooked when I won my FTCA case was a page of narration of the microscopic slides of my husband's brain and heart attached to the extensive autopsy.

Yesterday I googled the very first finding in the slides as to the medical terminology not expecting to find anything significant.

Was I wrong.

The slide narration contained a direct solid connection that supports my claim -so significant that I am glad to shell out more $$$$ for this cardio IMO along with other evidence I have learned of since filing the claim in 2003.

I hate to urge autopsies here-no one really wants to think about these things.

An autopsy however-as I well know- can make the difference between DIC and no DIC.

An autopsy also can reveal malpractice.

When the Organ Bank required an autopsy,(since they took his skin, eyes, and long bones -arms and legs)I had no idea at that moment how instrumental the autopsy would become to rectifying my husband's death.

Peace with Honor is getting closer for him.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Would anyone really want the VA doing an autopsy on them anyway?? I mean, do you think they would be truthful if they (the VA) knew that something they did--or didn't do--was the cause of death??

No, I'd want my autopsy (if I have one) to be done by a real (i.e. civilian) facility.

• HadIt.com Elder
I dont know if the VA still does autopies and what VA's do them, Wings.

The VA would certainly have to release a body to the next of kin.

Good question.When the ambulance came they took Rod -not to the VA but to a private hospital-to be pronounced dead. The hospital was a little further away than the VA.I knew he was dead but ALS and ambulance corps EMTs cannot make that pronouncement.and maybe they figured VA couldn't either.

Since an autopsy costs money, I'll venture to guess that the VA isn't doing them routinely ... ~Wings

Precedent Ops http://www.va.gov/ogc/precedentopinions.asp

For the Full Decision, See 2001, See 22-91

-snip-

M-1, Part I, paragraph 14.03 provides in part:

a. The purpose of an autopsy is to contribute to knowledge of the causes and cures of disease and disability, and in some cases to satisfy medico-legal requirements as to the cause of death. These objectives can be met only by the participation of qualified physicians. Accordingly, the request for permission to perform an autopsy normally will be made by a physician who is fully qualified and prepared to explain the purposes and the reasons for the need to perform one. The physician responsible for care of the patient at the time of death is the one most suitable and will be designated for this purpose whenever possible. When a physician is not available, the Chief of Medical Administration, or his designee, may seek the required permission. In no event will chaplains be used to secure permission for autopsies. Chaplains may and should, however, provide advice and counsel to relatives when it is sought by the relatives.

b. The provisions of VA Regulation 6155 and DM&S Manual M-2, part VI, chapter 8, apply ..."

Similarly, M-2, part VI, chapter 8, contains the following:

8.01 Statement of Policy

"An attempt will be made to procure legal permission for autopsies on all patients who die in VA hospitals, and a protocol will be prepared.

8.02 Preparation of Autopsy Protocol

"Where legal permission can be secured, an autopsy will be

performed on all patients who die in VA hospitals, and a protocol

will be prepared and disposed of as follows: ... "

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

You all know I have three favorable IM0s that VA has not acknoweldged for my claim-and only the BVA- in remand actually acknowldged them and the fact VA has ignored them for years.

BVA ordered a Cardiologist's review of the claim.I just got the PA report (BVA had wanted this to come from a cardiologist)and I already have knocked down his review because he didnt have a clue.

Since BVA wanted VA to have a cardio doc do the report I got a cardio doc myself who will be preparing my 4th IMO.

One thing I overlooked when I won my FTCA case was a page of narration of the microscopic slides of my husband's brain and heart attached to the extensive autopsy.

Yesterday I googled the very first finding in the slides as to the medical terminology not expecting to find anything significant.

Was I wrong.

The slide narration contained a direct solid connection that supports my claim -so significant that I am glad to shell out more $$$$ for this cardio IMO along with other evidence I have learned of since filing the claim in 2003.

I hate to urge autopsies here-no one really wants to think about these things.

An autopsy however-as I well know- can make the difference between DIC and no DIC.

An autopsy also can reveal malpractice.

When the Organ Bank required an autopsy,(since they took his skin, eyes, and long bones -arms and legs)I had no idea at that moment how instrumental the autopsy would become to rectifying my husband's death.

Peace with Honor is getting closer for him.

Berta...GARY here but with no questions this time but with an idea...In every RO they should have a sign hanging in plain sight which reads "Deny till they die" Which would have happened to me if not for U. Sincerly, GARY

gdsnide

That is a terrible thought Gary- but true.

I am staying in the best health I can-just for spite.

My husband always said there must have been a big billboard across from the Buffalo VARO that said "F--- this veteran" with his name on it.

After he died -they must have put my name on it instead.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.