Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Fastrack?

Rate this question

jjrbus

Question

Long story, everything with the VA seems to be. Anyway after 40 years I have went from 10% with no kiss. To recently 80%, 50% PTSD and 30% GSW (gun shot wound)R (right) arm.

So I files for IU (individual unemployability for fellow PTSD'ers) July 14th 2009. Sept 10th 2009 I recieve the standard letter stateing they are working on my claim and giving me 30 days to submit further eveidence. That is less than 2 months, warp speed in my experience with the VA

I go to the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) at the FT Myers Fl clinic and tell Larry I have the letter, he gives me a questioning look and says already??

In the last 10 years dealing with the VA, I have never seen anything happen this fast.

Being the eternal optimist, the only thing I can figure is they got a new

"claim denied" stamp and can't wait to use it.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but my rep says I have a very good claim!

Jim

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Long story, everything with the VA seems to be. Anyway after 40 years I have went from 10% with no kiss. To recently 80%, 50% PTSD and 30% GSW (gun shot wound)R (right) arm.

So I files for IU (individual unemployability for fellow PTSD'ers) July 14th 2009. Sept 10th 2009 I recieve the standard letter stateing they are working on my claim and giving me 30 days to submit further eveidence. That is less than 2 months, warp speed in my experience with the VA

I go to the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) at the FT Myers Fl clinic and tell Larry I have the letter, he gives me a questioning look and says already??

In the last 10 years dealing with the VA, I have never seen anything happen this fast.

Jim

I submitted my IU claim after the VA sent me paperwork to do so I had initially just requested an increase in rating. It was four months from the time they asked me for paperwork to the final decision, I have never had that experience with them in the nine years I've been fighting them. Hopefully the times they are a changing.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Jim,

I have been fighting the VA since 1996. I started out with 10% and just received 100% TDIU P&T. With me my back 50% and mental 50% have been the main aliments although I have 9 total service connections. My back and mental have gotten worse over the last 3-4 years. I ended up having my 2nd surgery L3-S1 fusion in March 2009. I filed for TDIU not too long after that. I just got word yesterday from my SO that I got the TDIU P&T. So in my case it was six months from applying to getting TDIU. Granted all our cases are different but that was my time line. I'm out of the Hartford CT RO by the way.

USMC 1st Battalion 1st Marines 1st Marine Division 91-95

100% P&T

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

George Washington

• HadIt.com Elder

On occasion, they get it right.

I hope that is your case.

Your IU may have already been inferred.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

This doesn't surprise me at all-I have mentioned here before that a TDIU claim COUld make a decision come faster-

TDIU claim factors in my opinion can make a TDIU claim eaier for a rater than developing all different types of %s for multiple issues.

Particularily-if the vet has SSA Award that supports the exact same basis of the SC disabilities.

I still remember the phenomenal news I got years ago- had helped a vet I know get 100% P & T-after 12 years at "0" NSC.That wasnt phenomenal-

but he asked me to help a Vietnam vet- and based on what he said- I told him to have the vet attached all his Private PTSD records to a TDIU form which I emailed to him and mentioned points on the form as to how he should respond.

4 months later the slowest RO in town-Buffalo-made the TDIU award.

I didnt even know in those days if the VA would consider a TDIU form from a NSC vet.

Everytime I read the form however-it did not preclude any vet at any rating or even NSC.

It did not say anything about the 70% mantra that VA and vet reps are quick to bring up.

Every since then I have been whipping out the TDIU form here-

except lately- my 3 1/2 with the form is worn out and wont work.

If I was a VA rater I would prefer a TDIU claim to almost any other type of claim.Once the evidence is at hand- in many cases the decision is easy to make because this rests on the unemployability factor and not the employment affect of a disability.

I fully believe that many reps have cost vets retro $$$$ in TDIU because they were too lazy or to unaware of what TDIU depends on-to have the vet apply for it.

I overheard a rep say at the local VAMC-oh you get SSA for PTSD? 'very interesting'- to a vet he was handling PTSD claim for-

and he never once considered that vet had prime facie evidence for TDIU.

Evidence that should have been submitted to the VA.

(He was my rep too so this was a red flag for me)

I tried to find the vet after he left the rep's office- to tell him to file for TDIU and use the SSA award but I couldn't find him.

In most cases the EED for TDIU is the date the VA receives the TDIU form.

In most cases the TDIU form should be filed YESTERDAY.

Meaning-if you feel you have a basis for TDIU-file the form to preserve the EED.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

jjrbus: jmo but I feel you should pursue a claim against the VA, possibly a CUE, on your previous claims, especially the gun shot wound & the ptsd. You have a better chance of winning that than the lottery. jmo

pr

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

VSO's really drop the ball on IU. I never even heard about it until I came to hadit, and I spent 15 years rated 10% and never made more than $5000 bucks a year. Never once did the VA ask about my work situation even though I had multiple C&P exams. I used all the VSO's and they let me down every time. I got a 10% rating in 1973 even though my own private medical report said I could not work. The VA just ignored that report, and relied on their dumbass shrink to comment on my haircut and ragged clothes. He thought I was a hippie or a communist. It took 30 years to go from 10% to IU. I was worse off in 1973 than I am now.