• donate-be-a-hero.png

Well, I Did It............

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

post-1306-1254622017_thumb.jpg

May G-d Guide Me.

And may your prayers be with me, that I will "Do The Right Thing", and, maybe, just maybe, help a fellow vet.

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

This is WONDERFUL News! Larry- you will do a GREAT job-

I noticed what you said about the insurance programs-and I wonder if the VA contacts any deceased vet's spouse if there is a policy (VGLI or whatever) that maybe the spouse doesn't realise the veteran had.

Also this-"how to help the loved ones that are left behind" can become a full time endeavor-

I have been trying to find out more info on this press release the VA made last week:

"Shinseki: “Voice of Survivors” Will Strengthen Existing Programs

WASHINGTON -- To strengthen the programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the survivors of the nation’s Veterans and military personnel, the Department has staffed an office to serve as their advocate, with a charter that includes creating or modifying programs, benefits and services."

I have made 4 calls to VA in DC with no good feedback as to where there is more info on this program but got a tip as to someone in VA Communications office-and will call him in a minute-

to see what more info is available.

(I just hope this new 'office' isn't a broom closet staffed by someone part time who just directs survivors to the VA survivor page on the net)

The insurance programs- that is a good thing for you to look into.

When a survivor gets an award letter-they send an enclosure as to what other benefits might be available- but it doesn't seem to say much- (VA form 21-8765)The one I got recently never mentions how to apply for any VA life insurance proceeds- and fails to mention how to apply for any burial -funeral expense refunds for service connected deaths.

You will do a great Job Larry - CONGRATS!!!!!!

(and keep that sense of humor -you might need it!!!!)

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

Helping survivors of disabled vets is really a necessary thing. Many don't have any idea of how to navigate the VA. If the VA tells them they are not entitled to DIC they believe it. Often, as we all know, the VA gives out bad information. I told my wife not to accept "NO" for an answer for any benefit if I croak before her. If the VA lies to us vets you know they lie to spouses. I bet that unless a vet's spouse makes the request for insurance they never see it. There is probably a billion dollars in unclaimed insurance money. Someone needs to publish a small book on how survivors need to make their claims for benefits from the VA. Not just official list of benefits but how to apply for them and how to appeal if they are denied. No where does any VA handbook say that all spouses should request an autopsy even though we know it can be crucial for DIC purpose. Death certificates can be just two words done by some doctor who is in a hurry unless autopsy is done.

• HadIt.com Elder
Congratulations Larry

Now I need to know where to send donations so you can buy a decent hat.

Welllll, of course I can not accept any monetary "pay", being as how I am a "volunteer", etc.

How about I lose the hat, and you give me some money and I'll give you a poppy, for the vets?

(matter-of-fact, I think I DID lose the hat, or The Wife lost it for me...............................She has better "taste" than I when it come to fedoras)

Hmmmm..well it would be worth quite a bit for you to loose the hat..say, $10,, but I just dont know about the poppy. Isnt a poppy where heroin grows? I am thinking that If I want drugs, I should get them in the proper method, that is, go to the VA hospital and tell the doc that if he doesnt give me drugs, I will apply for VA benefits and ask all my friends to do the same.

Of course, the doc has heard that one before and told me that if I didnt sign this "constent to withdraw VA claim" he would not give me any more drugs. So I signed the form but when the doc left the room to take his cell phone call, I opened his desk and switched my drugs for the bottle he was taking.

So, the next time I went back to the VA, I asked the doc if he still wanted to apply for his benefits. The doc said no, and left. So I settled down into the VA docs chair, and pretty soon a Veteran came in and asked me how I got to be a doctor. I told him I didnt remember, but if he would not tell anyone about it, I would give him some drugs.