Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Asking For P&t, File A Nod, Or A New Claim?

Rate this question

10thFO

Question

I had a decision rated earlier this year on a re-eval for PTSD, stating that my rating hadn't changed. Last year I mean. Should I file a NOD stating that I think they should have rated P&T, I have new evidence from the PTSD group program I went through as well as my SSDI that I don't believe they have looked at in making my last rating when they gave me TDIU. This last re-eval was just off of the original PTSD rating. Or do I need to file a new claim form asking for P&T with the new evidence. Also what is the form number for SSOC.

Sorry to ask this, but I have spent a good portion of the afternoon trying to locate these forms and info, but can't find them in the pages of forums and history.

Thanks.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes you should go ahead and file for P&T as soon as you can. As far as I know the SSOC is something the VA does so there's no form for this. You should have a SSOC from the last decision on why they didn't grant P&T.

File for P&T and send in the new evidence with the NOD (form 9). You have one year so do it now.

form 9

http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA9.pdf

Jerr

I had a decision rated earlier this year on a re-eval for PTSD, stating that my rating hadn't changed. Last year I mean. Should I file a NOD stating that I think they should have rated P&T, I have new evidence from the PTSD group program I went through as well as my SSDI that I don't believe they have looked at in making my last rating when they gave me TDIU. This last re-eval was just off of the original PTSD rating. Or do I need to file a new claim form asking for P&T with the new evidence. Also what is the form number for SSOC.

Sorry to ask this, but I have spent a good portion of the afternoon trying to locate these forms and info, but can't find them in the pages of forums and history.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

If time limits have not come and gone then I would file a NOD for the Chapter 35 benefit denial. That is what I did when I got TDIU but was denied Chapter 35. I was on SSD and I also got a doctor to write a report saying why the VA was wrong in saying I might improve. You should have medical evidence that says your condition is permanent and will not improve. This way the Chapter 35 bennies will be retro to your TDIU grant.

The date is to late for a NOD/DRO on the original TDIU, as I have had that for over 2 years, but this was a "re-evaluation " C&P that I had for the PTSD last year, and they sent me a notice that my status had not changed and that my rating was the same. I can just De Novo that ruling can't I and include the other SS info, along with the PTSD 6 week program diagnosis notes, plus at that time, my SS lawyer had the Dr.'s in my 6 wk program fill out a very specific detailed questionnaire as to whether or not I could do numerous tasks or such, and three of them all agreed that their was no way I was employable and w/o pulling that paperwork tonight, I'm pretty sure it said there was no improvement to be expected. That form alone got me the SS appeal w/o having to go in front of the judge on my appeal.

I don't want to file the Form 9 if I don't have to, as I know that will take years upon years to get approved. I'm more worried about my health now, and trying to get my status to P&T as soon as possible. am 40 now, and know the age will be a factor, but if I have to wait until i'm 60 for the 20 year rule, family history suggests that might be around the time I might die, from a Heart Attack. Don't want to leave my wife in a lurch, and with the PTSD meds, I'm not able to afford life insurance of any kind. premium is 140% above what it would be for a normal "term" policy.

80% SC/100% TDIU

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you should just send in a letter asking for P&T status. Send in some evidence that you are permanently disabled. You are making a claim for benefits, so it is really a new claim. Point to the fact that your condition has not changed in two years.

Thanks John I will do that. And actually, when I first NOD'd I got the 70% and TDIU back to Nov. 2004, so luckily I'm over 5 years now. Appreciate the help from both of you.

80% SC/100% TDIU

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      First Post
    • kidva earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use