Question

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I talk to a buddy from Vietnam every once in a while. He lives in Idaho and I live in Florida. We experienced some of the same events. He remembers them entirely differently that I do. I have a pretty good memory and I know he is wrong. He is sincere in his beliefs, so I would never say he is wrong. This goes to show how even honest people can distort the facts after 40 years. Just about every vet tells a war story, but there is a difference between being in Vietnam and not being there. There is a difference between getting a Medal of Honor and not getting one. Some of these guys actually believe they were in Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan. I can't imagine why anyone would claim to be there if they were not, so if someone tells me they were there I usually believe them. I got taken in by a guy who told me he was in SF for three years in Vietnam. Someone I know vouched for him, and I took it as fact. I found out later it was lies. He landed in jail for theft and fraud, so that is when I began to check. I think most Vietnam vets were treated so badly they might lie and say they were not there. Like on a college campus in the 60's and early 70's who would want to declare "I was in Vietnam and proud of it". First off, the other students think you were an idiot or a psychopath if you discuss it. Your professors would think of you as a specimen to be studied.

• HadIt.com Elder

If a person tells a lie enough after awhile they believe the lie. Most people today could give a rats ass about what anyone did or did not do. I find that for me when anyone mentions my service I tell them that I was drafted and served in Germany. I have the utmost respect for combat Veterans but I take people at their word till they prove other wise. Even as naive as I am sometimes I can usually tell a bull shitter cause I have known quite a few combat veterans and as yet I have not met one of them that felt like telling war stories and how they earned their medals.

So the guy with the silver and bronze star and 5 purple hearts would have stood out. I am not much of a fan of Burkette and his stolen valor but when I see a story like this I see a need for what he has done.

As a Viet Nam Era Veteran I joined the VVA in Dallas when it had been torn apart cause the elected President had just been shown up as a liar. He claimed he was a Navy Seal but he served in the Coast Guard.They made us show a copy of our DD 214 to join which I think is a good way to put an end to a lot of this crap.

Pete

3/12th Air Cav 3rd Armor Division Germany

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
I talk to a buddy from Vietnam every once in a while. He lives in Idaho and I live in Florida. We experienced some of the same events. He remembers them entirely differently that I do. I have a pretty good memory and I know he is wrong. He is sincere in his beliefs, so I would never say he is wrong. This goes to show how even honest people can distort the facts after 40 years. Just about every vet tells a war story, but there is a difference between being in Vietnam and not being there. There is a difference between getting a Medal of Honor and not getting one. Some of these guys actually believe they were in Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan. I can't imagine why anyone would claim to be there if they were not, so if someone tells me they were there I usually believe them. I got taken in by a guy who told me he was in SF for three years in Vietnam. Someone I know vouched for him, and I took it as fact. I found out later it was lies. He landed in jail for theft and fraud, so that is when I began to check. I think most Vietnam vets were treated so badly they might lie and say they were not there. Like on a college campus in the 60's and early 70's who would want to declare "I was in Vietnam and proud of it". First off, the other students think you were an idiot or a psychopath if you discuss it. Your professors would think of you as a specimen to be studied.

Yes John, so true . You are right on target with your post, especially about " how even honest people can distort the facts after 40 years", as well as your other comments here.. . Like you, I also have a very good memory. Although I personally try not to remember my war experience, it seems that other people have done that for me. Over the years, I have accumulated after actions reports, battalion logs, copies of sworn military eye witness reports, as well as other publications, etc... Not to forget the old worn out flash backs, that can pull me back into 67'-68' Nam in a nano second. You could say my life is an open book. I do feel and appreciate the anonymity I have here at Hadit. You meet some of the most interesting vets and other people here.

post-4811-1264803148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

Commander Bob - I agree with you about meeting and keeping folks here. I find myself looking forward to reading and replying to a number of folks here, and really enjoying them and others whether I want hear what they say or not. I find Hadit a definite enrichment to my life.

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

Libel??? for talking about something thats public news????

Hate to tell ya but that's NOT grounds for libel. Libel would be if we knew him and was spreading false rumors. The things we're talking about here aren't rumors, their FRONT PAGE NEWS.

Repeating what's already being discussed by the news media isn't libel.

I read a lot of your posts and all I read is you bashing the VA. Don't be a hypocrit.

jerr

I would ask that the moderators close this post at least until such time as this Veteran(s) guilt has been confiremed by a court of law. Until such time, there is some chance that this/other Veterans sue hadit for libel. It is against the law to "slander" someones name, especially if it is discovered to be false. Until conviction, it is merely "rumors" and I dont think hadit wants to spread rumors.