VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Almost Arrested At Varo

Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Could be equipment malfunction and sensitivity. Could be limited number of machines authorized. Could be a clerks initials aren't enough. A few times, honest, I've had a clerk that had to get a supervisor to take the papers and timedate stamp them on the machine right in front me at the desk.

Additionally, I know as a customer the VA requires my printed name and signature to release VA documents to me or anyone else. But if I request a 'copy' its only initialed. What reference do a clerks initials provide on a official document? Upon inquiry, I've been asked who provided services to me? If I recalled them, then I would ask for them by name, or could be redirected to that specific individual for services. Maybe a VA employee business card or cellphone pic would help.

Edited by cowgirl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my VAMC the date stamp is very small, almost the size of a book if not smaller so there's no reason they shouldn't have one at the front desk at all times.

No excuse and I bet the have extras sitting around. All they do is manually press it down and zippo.

jerr

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts, . As akwidow put it, " I agree with the sages -"... There are many sages here at Hadit. I appreciate your understanding and will take your counsel under consideration. To be sure that the indignant clerk at the VARO, didn't misplace my NOD, I sent an additional 2nd NOD via the postal service, certified, return receipt requested. As well as emailing a copy to my NSO rep. However, I still don't know if this VARO has stopped the practice of not time&date stamping hand carried notices and statements in support of claims. You would think with all the relatively recent bad publicity and the loss of confidence by the vets and claimants, regarding shredding and lost documents, aka " Shreddergate", the VARO would be more than happy to date&time stamp statements from the veteran. I find it odd and arrogant of upper management to condone, direct or allow their employees to not stamp-in documents when requested by the veteran, after standing there in line and presenting the document in person. I am also taken back by the way the clerk threatened to call security, as if she had used that line many times in the past, to frighten or stress the combat wounded or disabled veterans, their spouses or widows. It's not like it was in the old days, when the VA had unarmed security guards with walkie - talkies. Now they are armed and dangerous, and driving fully loaded police cars and SUVs, with all the bells and whistles around the parking lot. How odd indeed. I have been away from the whole VA thing for over a decade and a half. I am amazed at some of the changes. I will sleep on it, and maybe tomorrow I'll call some of my old contacts in the news media and tell them the story and see if I can get one of them to come with me on the 18th, if I decide to go back there. The veteran deserves better than what I witnessed on the 3rd of February. Again, thank you, John999, Pete53, *Bergie*,akawidow, jerrbilly, and cowgirl, for your thoughtful and wise replies.

Edited by Commander Bob

I am also taken back by the way the clerk threatened to call security, as if she had used that line many times in the past, to frighten or stress the combat wounded or disabled veterans, their spouses or widows.

CB,

OH MY GOSH - for sure - I would have been tazed, sprayed and cuffed.

Want to threaten me with calling johnny law then you'd better do it!

That would have just sent me screaming and they'd better get a few supervisors

out there too.

They'd have had to lock my butt up !

I've got a lawyer in Sarasota that will handle situations like that for me.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I slept on it, and woke up thinking I would rather go ice fishing than go back to the VARO. I must admit, there are times that I wish I could just walk away from all things VA. "It is time to pass the torch to a new generation" of veterans. However a ringing in my ears, reminds me "If not me, then who? If not now , then when...?"

As time goes by, I better understand Gen. Mac Arthur's words to congress "... and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished, but I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

Edited by Commander Bob