VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here; A Question Regarding Private Health Insurance

Rate this question

buzzard

Question

A little about me: I am a veteran of the Army (1968-1974), having served two tours in Vietnam as a Crew Chief/Door Gunner. I live in Ohio.

I had some mental issues when I returned, and continue to do so. I have hearing problems and tinnitus (driving me crazy; it is just getting worse with time): as well as a few other problems. I've been inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past.

I work part-time for now, though it is a real challenge. I applied for VA health care just this past Thursday and have my first appointment in less than two weeks, and then I guess they will set up an appointment for me to go to Chillicothe for the Agent Orange physical/registry (I was in many areas in VN where it was used). I sent for all my military records via eVetRecords last week, but I don't anticipate receiving them as fast I got the VA heathcare approved.

My question: I have private health insurance (Anthem) and I plan on dropping it, as I can no longer afford it; the premiums, co-pays and deductibles are killing me! I don't know if I should drop it before my first appointment....am I even allowed to drop the private health insurance at any time?

Thanks Brothers!

Dave

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

:excl: Went ahead and called that 800# to file an informal claim just now...I told her I wanted to file an informal claim for service connected disability and was directed to call Extension 110, and then called that extension. I received a recording something to the effect of DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CALLS, THAT NO COUNSELERS ARE AVAILABLE TO TAKE CALLS, AND TO CALL BACK AT SOOM OTHER TIME. Great..... Strike ONE...:angry:

• HadIt.com Elder

The staff at your local VAMC may seem wonderful but to get compensation you must deal with the Veterans Benefits Administration. They are not wonderful. If you get a referral to a psychiatrist post here before you go and let's talk about do's and don'ts. One thing I would keep in mind when talking to anyone at the VA is that you were 100% healthy before the military and due to the military you are now not near 100%. Don't let them take you back to your childhood or discuss illness or injury before your service. You need to focus on your complaints and symptoms that you believe are service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder

Write a letter and state that you are filing an informal claim and mail it registered with proof of delivery. Be sure and put a date on the letter. Or go to your friendly VAMC and see your Service Officer and have them help you file the claim

Doing nothing or being turned around and delayed because the VA is to busy to take your call is a mistake.

One thing I have learned over the years is the VA regularly returns calls and neither do most of the Service Officers for that matter

One thing I think you need to know. In regards to your medical records coming from evets if they do great! Make a copy and keep that copy for yourself then use the other copy to deal with sending anything needed for claims in when you have to.

I word of caution though when I first send away for my records back in 02 they told me they could not find them and then A while later told me since I had filed a claim in 1983 that they were at my RO. Then I had to contact the RO to get a copy and took another 2-3 months.

Yours might go smooth but thought you should know what can happen.

One other thing depending on what gets where the fastest. If you put in any kind of claim all your records will be requested by the RO so you might run into the fact they the RO gets them before you but hang in it will get sorted out just takes a while.

Good luck on your claim! By the way are you using a VSO for hrlp with your claim??

Thank You for your reply and for serving my Country!

Hopefully, it won''t be a big problem getting those records....However, I'm thinking that since the VA allowed three more illness for AO disability just last week, that things may be slower...which I understand completely, as I'm sure there are Veterans out there with more problems than me....

I don't know if I will use a VSO....I downloaded the 12 page comp application, and it doesn't seem too difficult, though i will certainly need help and perhaps can get all the answers via this website and the web....I am going to do it on paper first, but then was going to do the actual filing via the web...seems like it would be quicker that way??? Though it is my understanding that I will still have to wait for those medical records for specific dates and places of treatment....it was right after my second tour, and then in the late 80s/early 90s since I've been seen in a VAMC....

I was going to call my local VAMC today, ask to speak to a VSO if they have one there, (we also have an office for that in town) and see if he can get me in immediately...like tomorrow!

I just joined the VVA via the internet, and am trying to find out when the next local chapter meets, as I am sure there are Brothers there who would be willing to help me as well.

buzzard,

Welcome to Hadit.

Good research here:

http://www.hadit.com/

Definitions and abbreviations you will need to become familiar with :

http://www.hadit.com/definitions.html

Be sure to read:

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html

See if there is a Vet Center close enough to you and

call to be seen ASAP.

Here's a link:

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp?isflash=1