Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Service Rep Says Leave Well Enough Alone

Rate this question

steve Mck

Question

Awarded 100% P & T. Have many other illnesses that could account for additional SC. Advised by vet.rep to just let it go since I am not scheduled for any further examinations. In other words...don't rock the boat, leave well enough alone so your file doesn't get brought back up for review. That makes sense and you don't exactly get more than 100%. In otherwords is it worth the risk?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell the service rep he is an lop eared idiot.

If you have 100 percent and you have more issues to service connect than you should service connect them. If you have a non service connected condition that should have been service conencted and you die in a couple of years from it, your survivors will get aquat.

There is also the factor that if you have a total disability and another one that equals 60 percent, you qualify for a special monthly compensation or SMC S which is around 300 additional dollars per month.

Your VSO just wanted you out of his hair.

You are entitled to service connect every illness that is related to service.

J

Edited by jbasser

It depends. If there is the chance of a widow, or of going downrange from one of your non-SC conditions, Id get the worst of them on the list, even at 0%.

• HadIt.com Elder

That SMC "S" or any SMC contributes to DIC. That is well worth it if you leave someone behind. $295 tax free is actually worth around 450 of earned income. I am trying to get it and I have been P&T for 9 years.

Awarded 100% P & T. Have many other illnesses that could account for additional SC. Advised by vet.rep to just let it go since I am not scheduled for any further examinations. In other words...don't rock the boat, leave well enough alone so your file doesn't get brought back up for review. That makes sense and you don't exactly get more than 100%. In otherwords is it worth the risk?

Once a veteran is rated 100% service connected, the only claims that really needs to be filed are life threatening conditions or claims that could lead to SMC payments. All claims that are on appeal should be continued until awarded, sometimes VA will award a veteran 100% service connected hoping the veteran will drop all appeal claims and lose any type of retro payment. Of course a veteran should consider any type of CUE claim if warranted. The bottom line is it could be more money.

• HadIt.com Elder

you have to seriously look at the issues you are thinking about filing on could they cause your death? are they 10% issues or 60-100 % issues by themselves I was rated at 100% P&T for PTSD I still appealed my CAD and hypertension it went to BVA and I was finally awarded 60% CAD and 10% hypertension so now if I die from a heart attack or my heart just quitting for other reasons or a stroke my wife will get DIC plus since I have the issue rated at 60% it qualified me for SMC S which like they said took me from 2763 to 3200 a month I hope I live at least 10 more years if not longer every month I get that deposit I see where I benefit from keeping that fight going if you are talking about Tinnitus though or hemmeroids then let it go

I have always advocated going for eveything the va owes you. A lot of folks say don't rock the boat.. I say if you didn't do anything dishonest you have nothing to worry about..

I am rated 100% P/T with SMC K, and L 1/2 .. When I was awarded the 100% , I was already rated TDIU...

After I was awarded TDIU, I fought for the adapted housing grant.. and won,

I have three claims pending one for an EED, one for CUE , concerning houseibound under bradkey v peake, and one 1151 on my eyes ( which will when granted be another SMC)

If I wasn't already rated for 2 lung diseases, I would request a rating for Sleep Apnea ( secondary to asthma/COPD) with CPAP , but there is no way to get another ratng for lungs, and I have already been P/T for over 11 years, so my spouse is covered when I pass..

When I retired years ago I was rated for 4 things.. today I am rated for 12 medical issues... let me tell you it adds up even the 10% ones....

Because I never listened to the nay sayers.. I get a healthy $3745.00 a month...( and I lost a lot more than that when I was forced to retire from Civil service)

so if you can't decide, remember this, the only way to ever get a decent raise from the va is to prove your more disabled than you are now.... hell maybe I will go after the sleep apnea rating , I need to check it might bring another SMC...