VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

American Legion Vso Representative

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

Edited by retiredat44

• HadIt.com Elder

PR, thanks for the nice words. I do appreciate it.

Now, as far as joining a Veterans Service Organization because they are representing you and your claim....................ALL accredited Veterans Service Organizations MUST, by law, represent ALL veterans, whether or NOT the veteran is a member of that organization. And, NO, I do not believe that you either being a member, or not, has a thing to do with whether you are better, or less, represented. I mean, after all, how many of you have been asked whether or not you are a member, before, during or after having been repped by a particular organization? And, if you have, then I'd like to know about it, in specifics, and I'll put a stop to it because it is illegal, period. After all, I represent ALL veterans, and I do so with pride, besides, if I only represented members of MY Veterans Service Organization, then I'd not have a very heavy "load". I mean, after all, you have to be a Jew to be a member of MY veterans service organization, okay? So, if you felt the need to belong to MY veterans service organization, due to the fact that I, for example, were representing you and you were NOT a member, say you were, like 90% of my veterans are, a Christian, then for you to join MY veterans service organization, not only would you have to cough up the membership dues, but you'd also have to..........well......ah.........:blush: ......well, you'd have to do what we Jewish lads (I've been told that I can't, on the hadit board, call MY self a JewBoy, so I'm now a Jewish lad), anyway, you'd have to do what us Jewish lads had to do to BE Jewish................if ya get my drift?

ANY "takers"?

If Veteran's Service Organizations did there job well, then there would be no need for hadit, when the Vet had questions he would call his

VSO.

And there would not be any such thing as a "million man backlog".

This topic is very interesting. I was handed the membership card at the DVA before we even got started. They said its only 20.00, the state pays the other half. Kind of felt pressured, but that was my hand giving them the money. After looking at Larrys and Testvet post its quite clear what path I need to follow. Very helpful. I never did get a followup call that I requested from the national office in Phoenix from the DVA. They got their money. I wonder if this could be a tax reduction-contributing to a charity so to speak.

My VSO started asking me about being spiriitual. I am not into religion, but i don't feel like hurting people, and said I am not into religion. She says, I don't mean relgion.. I mean being spiriitual.

Well, I am in a tough situation, because I don't want the people repesenting me pissed at me for telling them to go F-Off... so I said I am not religous. I don't have any desire to. period. I know I could say anything, but I am trying to get my claim through, and don't need relgious stuff being pushed on me..

I finally said goodbye until the next meeting..

Horrible situation for your VSO to start some 'spiritual' talk... while you are on the verge of going insane, sick and suffering trying to get benefits.. and thinking, don't say the wrong word of my file is into the round-file for not believing in some religion..

Mind you this office is in a VA Regional Office buidling this conversation is taking place..

PR, thanks for the nice words. I do appreciate it.

Now, as far as joining a Veterans Service Organization because they are representing you and your claim....................ALL accredited Veterans Service Organizations MUST, by law, represent ALL veterans, whether or NOT the veteran is a member of that organization. And, NO, I do not believe that you either being a member, or not, has a thing to do with whether you are better, or less, represented. I mean, after all, how many of you have been asked whether or not you are a member, before, during or after having been repped by a particular organization? And, if you have, then I'd like to know about it, in specifics, and I'll put a stop to it because it is illegal, period. After all, I represent ALL veterans, and I do so with pride, besides, if I only represented members of MY Veterans Service Organization, then I'd not have a very heavy "load". I mean, after all, you have to be a Jew to be a member of MY veterans service organization, okay? So, if you felt the need to belong to MY veterans service organization, due to the fact that I, for example, were representing you and you were NOT a member, say you were, like 90% of my veterans are, a Christian, then for you to join MY veterans service organization, not only would you have to cough up the membership dues, but you'd also have to..........well......ah.........:blush: ......well, you'd have to do what we Jewish lads (I've been told that I can't, on the hadit board, call MY self a JewBoy, so I'm now a Jewish lad), anyway, you'd have to do what us Jewish lads had to do to BE Jewish................if ya get my drift?

ANY "takers"?

Funny thing is my VSO likes to take all the credit for "My Years Of Work!" First of all no matter who they are they need to tell the vet,Hey buddy you are on your own, look up all the information sites and get everything you need to do for your claim, as I represent thousands of vets, but I will gladly put your paperwork in for you!

I think at that point the vets would not be as frustrated wondering why the guy/girl doesn't keep in contact!

The most important thing we can do, as others have stated, is to educate the vet with this process of claims admissions, appeals, etc.

This way the vet will understand why he/she doesn't get a return call, notification or correspondence from them.

I have utalized a AL vso at my VAMC more than my vfw vso EVER!

He is always there to help. You might have to wait a few hrs to talk to him, but he does try to help you.

It probably doesn't matter which one you use, as long as you do it all! Research and development is in your hands.

Also one might get lucky and befriend a VA supervisor, out of the blue who could lead you in the right direction too! Mine was Bart. I do miss not hashing things over with you, and your feedback was the best I ever received. You are truly a man of integrity, and honor. Had it not been for him, I would still be deceased according to the VA.

So in all walks of life only you can do the best for you is the ultimate tidbit to pass along. Educate yourself, and it sure doesn't hurt to pass on that personal knowledge and experience to others too. It might save them some heartache. No religion and no politics here, as neither will benefit my claim. Some things are personal, and need to stay personal.