VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's Wrong With 800# People...threats?

Rate this question

JHawks

Question

I called the 800# again today. I have a legitimate reason for doing so. I have been trying to find out a simple question. All I want to know is if in fact my response to the VA's 10/27 request for addition info and medical records have been received. Nobody can tell me.

Yes, I do call often. IRIS is useless. All they have told me is they will forward my request to Atlanta RO. They did that on 12/8. Today is the 23rd and I haven't heard a word back.

So I fired of an Update to my IRIS asking them "Do you plan on responding to my question or not?'

Well, the guy on the 800# said that he sees where I responded to the IRIS with a smart remark. I said I did because I can never get a reply to my question or a straight answer from anyone. I told him I need to know if the "IMPORTANT" medical evidence I submitted that included a diagnosis and NEXUS was received and in my file.

He go really rude with me and told me that he was going to flag my file so that if I called again whoever answered my call would know not give me any information that I asked for. He also told me that by flagging my file it would delay my claim for several more months.

Can they do that?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I called today and the goof didn't flag my file. I just hate people who threaten like that. If the turd isn't happy working for the VA find another job.

I'm sure the negative experience you had with 800# person just adds to the frustration. However, Congratulations on not "sitting down and shutting up", like that VA employee with the borrowed power tried to make you do.

It makes me wonder how some VA employees can sleep at night.

Hang in there 'JHawks'. Good Luck, and best wishes in the New Year.

Cmdr. Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

When I fought with the VARO from 1991 to 1996 I was very much for confrontation and although I cannot recall ever being anything but polite laced with sarcasm I did not progress all that well and there were many delays. My experience on Hadit over the years is that most have to wait to long.

In 1996 the flood gates opened and the patient load at the VA more than doubled and many more claims were applied for and further bogged down the system such as it was.

To get to the point since I won I reassessed my position and have always tried to be pleasant and so polite that my words would melt butter.

I have been told more than once that the people I deal with at the VA appreciate me as a patient and I have come to the conclusion that honey attracks more than vinegar.

Most of the time the VA treats me very well. I still have issues with Pharmacy about reliable delivery of key medications but the fact is they send me a lot more stuff than I need and I can honestly say that I have no clue what the system is.

Now my thoughts about the 800 number. Its good to call if you need something like a letter stating your service connection or a form but that is about it. They used to man the phone with local employees but now they have call centers.

Like it or not the VA is trying much harder to give service to Veterans but they still have a long way to go.

I rarely use the 800 number anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally speaking, when you get mad at a VA employee you are just beating a dumb animal. It is not worth your heartburn. Be nice and just persist. I find the system pretty inhuman, but just get your money and go. It takes too long and vets suffer. This is the American tradition to treat vets like dogs except after WWII.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I fought with the VARO from 1991 to 1996 I was very much for confrontation and although I cannot recall ever being anything but polite laced with sarcasm I did not progress all that well and there were many delays. My experience on Hadit over the years is that most have to wait to long.

In 1996 the flood gates opened and the patient load at the VA more than doubled and many more claims were applied for and further bogged down the system such as it was.

To get to the point since I won I reassessed my position and have always tried to be pleasant and so polite that my words would melt butter.

I have been told more than once that the people I deal with at the VA appreciate me as a patient and I have come to the conclusion that honey attracts more than vinegar.

Most of the time the VA treats me very well. I still have issues with Pharmacy about reliable delivery of key medications but the fact is they send me a lot more stuff than I need and I can honestly say that I have no clue what the system is...

I agree with those at the VA, who appreciate your kind disposition, and your patience, Pete53. I would add that it is especially appreciated here on HADIT.

However, for some vets, the weight of waiting is such a burden that it is difficult to maintain one's composure when dealing with what sometimes appears to be a broken and apathetic system. For those who are experiencing the cold shoulder of an ungrateful VA employee, I wish you peace, and I can assure you that you are not alone in your struggle.

Best wishes for a prosperous and successful New Year.

Cmdr. Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

§ 4.23 Attitude of rating officers.

It is to be remembered that the majority of applicants are disabled persons who are seeking benefits of law to which they believe themselves entitled. In the exercise of his or her functions, rating officers must not allow their personal feelings to intrude; an antagonistic, critical, or even abusive attitude on the part of a claimant should not in any instance influence the officers in the handling of the case. Fairness and courtesy must at all times be shown to applicants by all employees whose duties bring them in contact, directly or indirectly, with the Department’s claimants.[41 FR 11292, Mar. 18, 197

Show them this as it is a Federal Regulation.