VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

75th

Question

I have been diagnosed with PTSD since 2001. I been diagnosed by V.A. doctors and only V.A. doctors with this condition. I was not diagnosed until after my discharge. A fellow veteran suggested that i file a claim even thought it is a childhood trauma and there were circumstances in service which served as stressors. My question is should i file and what if i should will the reprimands in my record be sufficient evidence to prove a drastic change in my behavior because of a stressor.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all don't try to figure to much out. All you really need is the VA diagnosis and to show the stressors in service. If someone says it predates service than you will need to show aggravation or your service made it worse.

Its hard enough without making more problems on your claim...File the claim and do what they tell you.

Good Luck

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=1b72a5ed00fac16920d5c5a5e2475e57&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.4.1.66.114&idno=38

§ 3.306 Aggravation of preservice disability.

(a) General. A preexisting injury or disease will be considered to have been aggravated by active military, naval, or air service, where there is an increase in disability during such service, unless there is a specific finding that the increase in disability is due to the natural progress of the disease.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1153)(b) Wartime service; peacetime service after December 31, 1946. Clear and unmistakable evidence (obvious or manifest) is required to rebut the presumption of aggravation where the preservice disability underwent an increase in severity during service. This includes medical facts and principles which may be considered to determine whether the increase is due to the natural progress of the condition. Aggravation may not be conceded where the disability underwent no increase in severity during service on the basis of all the evidence of record pertaining to the manifestations of the disability prior to, during and subsequent to service.

(1) The usual effects of medical and surgical treatment in service, having the effect of ameliorating disease or other conditions incurred before enlistment, including postoperative scars, absent or poorly functioning parts or organs, will not be considered service connected unless the disease or injury is otherwise aggravated by service.

(2) Due regard will be given the places, types, and circumstances of service and particular consideration will be accorded combat duty and other hardships of service. The development of symptomatic manifestations of a preexisting disease or injury during or proximately following action with the enemy or following a status as a prisoner of war will establish aggravation of a disability.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1154)© Peacetime service prior to December 7, 1941. The specific finding requirement that an increase in disability is due to the natural progress of the condition will be met when the available evidence of a nature generally acceptable as competent shows that the increase in severity of a disease or injury or acceleration in progress was that normally to be expected by reason of the inherent character of the condition, aside from any extraneous or contributing cause or influence peculiar to military service. Consideration will be given to the circumstances, conditions, and hardships of service.

[26 FR 1580, Feb. 24, 1961, as amended at 57 FR 59296, Dec. 15, 1992]