Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd In 5 Years--100% Veterans

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

SSA told that I have to wait for 5 years to get S S D. Since I didn't apply for S S D after retiring on Disability from the Govt. Should I get a lawyer?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

How long has it been since you retired from Govt service? If you have enough quarters you should be able to apply for SSD. Are you FERS or CSRS?

How many time have you applied for SSD? A lawyer can tell you at probably at no charge, but you will probably need a lawyer, and you pay about $6,000.00..

The Lawyer will take that from your settlement.

Just remember you need the support and the goverment is responsable for you.

Thank you for your Service!

• HadIt.com Elder

If I were you I'd apply, for SSDI, yesterday, if you paid SS during your gov't career. I think SS was talking about SS retirement. Some gov't retirement program were in lieu of SS and in those cases you may not be eligible for SSDI but I'm not sure as to those programs. Others will chime in.

As to SSDI, if you paid SS for your gov't career then I'd apply, using the day after you retired, on disability, or your TDIU date, as your disability onset date. Also, I believe, some federal retirement programs offset SSDI.

pr

SSA told that I have to wait for 5 years to get S S D. Since I didn't apply for S S D after retiring on Disability from the Govt. Should I get a lawyer?

I agree with Philip that they must have meant retirement.

I am not sure and the SSA web site on line has a lot of good info as well as application forms.

John999 asked some good questions too because FERS and CFRS can affect SSDI.He is the expert here on that stuff.

“In order to qualify for SSDI, you must suffer from a permanent condition that prevents you from working. In other words, your disability must have lasted, or be expected to last, a minimum of twelve months and you must be unable to earn an income greater than $1000 per month (prior to 2010, this standard allowable level of Substantial Gainful Activity was only $980 per month).

In addition, an individual must have earned sufficient work credits in order to qualify for SSDI. The normal requirement is a total of 40 credits, 20 of which must have been earned in the 10 years prior to the onset of disability. Usually, this means that a person must have a fairly consistent work history and have worked (and paid Social Security taxes) for a combined five of the ten years prior to becoming disabled.

These work requirements can be somewhat less for younger individuals, as parents’ work credits can be applied to applicants under the age of 22.”

http://www.socialsecurity-disability.org/content/about-ssdi?gclid=CJ_ygq3fia8CFYGo4AodLhn6-Q

That is a just a basic overview and the SSA home page at the link has more info.

Dont forget, your Military service involves work credits as well as any post service occupations.