Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Do You Have The Answer To This Problem?

Rate this question

Wicklander

Question

Hello to everybody. I need some help with a question. Since the VA will not give me any answers on this subject the veterans on the forum is my only hope.

I am a disabled veteran with 30% disability. I am married and have one child. Normally I would receive "extra" compensation because I have dependants. (Wife, child). Easy right?

Here is the problem. My wife and child are Germans, we all live in Germany, and because my wife and child DO NOT have American social security numbers (obviously) I was denied the extra compensation for my dependants. Siting that when I filled out the forms I did not include their SSN'S, (I couldn't, they don't have any!)

I have tried to get the va to understand this but I keep getting the run around. All they do is to fill out form 21-686c. This is the form I originally filled out to include them (but I can't!). They won't even listen to what I am telling them. They will not give me an answer on what I can do to include my wife and child.

Does somebody here have any idea what I can do to include my family?

Thanks.

Mark (wicklander)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello to everybody. I need some help with a question. Since the VA will not give me any answers on this subject the veterans on the forum is my only hope.

I am a disabled veteran with 30% disability. I am married and have one child. Normally I would receive "extra" compensation because I have dependants. (Wife, child). Easy right?

Here is the problem. My wife and child are Germans, we all live in Germany, and because my wife and child DO NOT have American social security numbers (obviously) I was denied the extra compensation for my dependants. Siting that when I filled out the forms I did not include their SSN'S, (I couldn't, they don't have any!)

I have tried to get the va to understand this but I keep getting the run around. All they do is to fill out form 21-686c. This is the form I originally filled out to include them (but I can't!). They won't even listen to what I am telling them. They will not give me an answer on what I can do to include my wife and child.

Does somebody here have any idea what I can do to include my family?

Thanks.

Mark (wicklander)

1) Have you provided proof of marriage ?

2) Have you provided proof of Birth showing you as the biologic father ?

2) Were EITHER of you married - prior to this current marriage ?

If yes - have you submitted an official divorce decree/s from a recognized court ?

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Lead Moderator

Well, that is a good question. Here is my take. There are certain priveledges (and responsibilities) of being a US citizen, as evidenced with a SSN. I do not think you will get payments from the VA without an SSN (and US citizenship). The VA uses SSN to do income checks, IRS taxes, and to uniquely identify you. No SSN, No dependent compensation. Without a SSN, the VA cant be assured that you are not a dependent on someone elses benefits also.

Solution: Make your kids US citizens, along with a Social Security number.

They would not give me dependent benefits either, until I provided a SSN. It sounds like you have a choice: Get your kids US citizenship, and a SSN, or not count them as dependents for VA purposes.

This link and contact info for Germany might provide some help to you:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp

(Foreign Medical Program VA)

Then again maybe the VA doesnt have to pay for your dependents but wouldnt that fall under your SSN # anyhow?

Has the VA quoted you any law or regulation to support what they have said?

The US Embassy and Consulates are here with contact info under the Europe part:

http://www.usembassy.gov/

I think everyone is right and they dont have to pay for your dependents but it sure would be good to know that is an actual regulation somewhere.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Lead Moderator

The VA will not give YOU benefits without a SSN. If you fail to provide your SSN, you wont get your benefits. See form 26-4555d, which says,

PRIVACY ACT NOTICE: VA will not disclose information collected on this form to any source other than what has been authorized under the
Privacy Act of 1974 or Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations 1.576 for routine uses identified in the VA system of records, 55VA26, Loan Guaranty
Home, Condominium and Manufactured Home Loan Applicant Records, Specially Adapted Housing Applicant Records and Vendee Loan Applicant
Records - VA, and published in the Federal Register. Although VA does not routinely disclose information collected on this form, it is authorized to
release information to Congress when requested for statistical purposes. Giving us your SSN account information is mandatory. Applicants are
required to provide their SSN under Title 38 USC 5101©(1). Refusal to provide your SSN by itself will not result in the denial of benefits. VA will
not deny a veteran benefits for refusing to provide his or her SSN unless the disclosure of the SSN is required by a Federal Statute of law in effect
prior to January 1, 1975, and still in effect. Your obligation to respond is voluntary but failure to provide requested information could impede
processing.
In short, this means no ssn, no benefits. A similar notice appears on other VA forms.