Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got 70% Should I Go For Tdiu?

Rate this question

bobz

Question

I got my letter today awarding me 70%, 40% for left side weakness due to stroke and 50% for mental health along with 10% for hypertension. I know that totals 100 but this is the government. Anyway I have been 100% according to Social Security for the left side problems, from the stroke, since November of 2011. Should I go ahead and apply for unemployablility now? I did put in for added dependent's and am still waiting for that to kick in does anyone know how far back they will go on that?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would persistently go for TDIU and don't give up until you get it. It will make the difference between poverty and being pretty well off in your future.

On the Unemployablility should I go ahead and file on my own or wait on them? I don't see anything showing up on ebenefits yet for them doing anything, not sure if I would or not.

SSA awarded on the weakness, stroke and mental. The VA had copies of their doctors reports both in my records and I filed them with my claim for upgrading my disability.

unfortunately I just learned a lot more about strokes as my wife just had one that affected the side of the brain that controls speech, thought etc. She is doing remarkably well now and finally got her home.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf

Last worked Sept 2011 social security declared me 100% disabled in November 2011. VA finally raised disability 3 months ago

There are NO fractional disability rating from Social Security. Either you are disabled or you're not.

Also SSDI awards are not a sure thing when it comes to VA claims. I know many Vets receiving SSDI that can't get TDIU. Remember that age, work history and education are factors in a SSDI award. The VA considers ONLY service connected disabilities.

I'm one of them. My SSDI was awarded in less than three weeks. Based solely on my service connected conditions and my VA medical record. There were no exams from SS.

VA denied TDIU and even referenced my SSDI award in the denial.