Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Never Received Ssoc, Do I File Cue?

Rate this question

keyystone

Question

I have been going back and forth, including several reopens and such, with the VA since 2005 regarding a claim associated with Menieres.

In 2008, I received a note that It was denied because I did not have an official diagnosis (although the symptoms: Hearing Loss, Tinnitus and Vertigo show continuously all the way back to my time in service. I spoke with my doctor at the VA and they noted that it was listed as a working diagnosis going all the way back to 2007.

I requested to reopen the claim and received a notice saying there was no new and material evidence siting that the diagnosis was in fact listed on my records. I missed my deadline to respond by NOD due to a bit of moving and a new job in a new state (moved from Florida to Texas). I received a response that there was no NEW and MATERIAL evidence.

I had to wait a bit until I could get another ENT apt where the VA doctor stated specifically that "it is my opinion that it is at least as likely as not that Menieres Syndrome was aggravated by military service" he also stated that the cause cannot be clearly identified - my understanding is that at least as likely as not goes to the vet unless there is some evidence to the contrary. the rep from American Legion stated that "at least as likely as not" shows less than 50% likelihood.

I received a notice that it was denied (again due to lack of diagnosis?) last February, and responded with an NOD and this time I specifically highlighted my records both in service and out to show specifically issues where I had to deal with this issue. I specifically stated that I wanted to appeal there decision at the RO and I would be available when they are (I was unaware of the SSOC bit).

I was told by my rep that the backlog could take over a year. A few months later, I call the VA and they say that it is closed and final and that an SSOC had been sent. after explaining that I never received one, they said it would be sent and to just wait.

a few weeks later (late July of this year) I received a letter saying that an SSOC had been sent to me and to my rep. I call and email the rep and a month later I am still waiting for his response, So of course I call the VA again and they say there is an ssoc it is odd because there is no cover page or letterhead on the scanned document.

Sorry about the long spiel, but I am now at a lost, what do I do next?

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ugh. So apparently I am screwed. VSO rep called me and said he received my file today and the SOC is there. He is going to send it to me. Havent seen it yet to see why it was denied.

So now I have to reopen. I would prefer to wait until I get my complete c-fike to reopen. I am told from Houston VARO, takes 9 months (VSO rep got it in a week). 8 years of this crap and back to the drawing board. So if a case is closed for not submitting a form 9, does the clock start all over?

You still might not be all of the way screwed. Even if the SSOC is in there - you have built a case to show you didn't get it. You didn't get it. Your VSO said they didn't get it. They have it NOW because it is in the record. But it couldn't be found in the record the other day when you tried to get a copy. And the RO had told you that it is odd that it isn't on letter head. Is it possible that they finished the SSOC, but never sent the letter (with the SSOC)?

Even if you have to reopen, I would still try to make a case that you were never notified, and your claim is still pending. I am not sure if the RO would grant that - but it could possibly get you an earlier effective date down the road.

Think Outside the Box!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use