Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Rate this question

Jayco

Question

Received a decision letter in July with a rating of 40%. A catch up payment was deposited to my bank and monthly payments are coming in. In the decision letter VA said they did not receive proof of marriage and therefore did not include that in my monthly payment. Sent proof in July, but DAV says it will take a year for VA to process. I was surprised it would take that long on something I consider minor.

VA also said in the decision letter they did not receive a questionnaire related to diabetic neuropathy and requested it. That's been sent . I assume that the fact they requested the questionnaire means my rating might change and that the present rating is just to get something going money wise.

My question on the above two items is this. Do I need to be doing something else or just wait? Do I need to file new forms of any kind at this point? I ask because not being familiar with the process I may let time slip away on any appeal process that might be necessary.

My second question is this. In my original claim I listed sleep apnea as a health problem, but did not list it as service connected. At the time did not see it as being service connected and listed it on the claim out of ignorance of the process. VA denied it. I was surprised that they even addressed it since I did not list it in the area listing service connected health issues. I've since read where sleep apnea is being approved as service connected. Should I go back and file an appeal on sleep apnea?

Third and last question. I have diverticulitis and have had for several years. It was originally discover 15 or 20 years ago. Kept having a pain on my left side. My doctor was stumped since there were no major organs in that area. Finally he sent me for a colonoscopy and that is when the cause of the pain was discovered. Doctor said should be okay, so no pills or treatment of any kind. Just have to watch my diet. I have a pain in that area off and on. Sometimes mild, sometimes fairly severe. Should I file a claim?

Sorry for this being so long.

Thanks.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome Jayco! A year to add your spouse? That sounds like Chicago to me.

I would say yes on appealing the sleep apnea - as long as you think it started in service. How long have you had sleep apnea? Did you have any symptoms in service that could be connected to it? Your spouse might know more about that than you do. ;)

Think Outside the Box!

Jayco,

How long have you been out of the service and when did you file your initial claim? You stated that your diverticulitis was discovered 15 to 20 years ago. Was that before, during, or after service?

Think Outside the Box!

Released from service in 1969. My service connected disabilities were determined through exposure to agent orange in Vietnam. Filed original claim June 2012.

Let me say that up until 2012 I was not aware that any of my health problems could be service connected. Ran into guy who told me my heart disease and diabetes would most likely be judged as service connected and that I should file a claim. He was right.

Again, I never thought about sleep apnea and diverticulitis as being service connected. But then I never thought that my diabetes and heart disease were service connected. Just thought it was just part of the aging process. After having filed my original claim, I began thinking about other health problems I have like sleep apnea and diverticulitis. Sleep agnea was not diagnosed until around 2005 I believe. Diverticulitis diagnosed 15 or 20 years ago.

Heart disease and diabetes were not diagnosed until the 90's and were considered service connected. So I am assuming when a diagnosis is determined is not relevant or am I wrong in that assumption? I did not have sleep apnea in the service, but then I did not have heart disease and diabetes either.

Guess I am trying to figure out what additional claims I should file if any.

Thanks.

Jayco,

There are certain presumptions for Vietnam Vets for diseases that AO was known to cause. So if you served in Vietnam, and you eventually got those diseases, they are service connected.

As far as the other conditions - it is hard to get those service connected when diagnosed a long time after service, unless you can show you had signs and symptoms of them in service OR they can be linked to your service connected diseases. So any condition that can be caused by your heart disease or diabetes (or caused by the treatment or medicine) can be granted secondary service connection.

I think you can get your sleep apnea supplies from the VA regardless of whether it is service connected.

If your doctor would connect the sleep apnea or the diverticulitis to your SC'd heart disease or diabetes - they could very well be service connected.

Think Outside the Box!

http://www.idf.org/sleep-apnoea-and-type-2-diabetes

It does look like there could very well be a link between diabetes and sleep apnea.

Think Outside the Box!