Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Or Not

Rate this question

Me1984

Question

Wondering if having a VSO is really necessary or not. I actually didn't go through a VSO for my new claim nor the claim I just got reevaluated for yesterday. I currently have all of my one medical record from outside provider and just submitted it. Does that affect the VA's decision whether or not if you have representation. I just remember being in the army in my Meb stage and never able to reach my PEBLO which was frustrating. How does everyone else feel about this? To have a VSO or not to have a VSO is the question.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you really need help go hire a lawyer. So they get 20% of retro. If you are lost and/or over your head you get 100% of nothing.

Before I started using Hadit and doing research via the internet I trusted VSO's to help me. They as often hurt me. VFW screwed me to the wall. DAV discouraged me from filing for TDIU, and for appealing a denial. If I had listen to them I would be starving now. I would not give any VSO the chance to make a deal with VA to squash my appeal in the future. This is what they are good at is telling vet to drop appeals for the sake of a current rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with the State of Georgia's VSO's - - -

OK to file a simple claim. Can sometimes assist a veteran that doesn't have a clue, or a veteran that

is hospitalized. (VSO's etc. located on the VAMC grounds)

Appeals process and NOD's You are on your own or hire a lawyer. CUE/1151/Tort process - Unless you are Berta, hire a good lawyer.

Local Service Organization VSO's. Generally well meaning, but may be less than really knowledgeable.

It's of note that the Georgia state VSO's share the same subsidized office and phone system with the service org. VSO's at the Atlanta VARO.

Edited by Chuck75

I know that there are a few VSO's do give their own assumption which isn't always the best way. I talked to a VSO and they advices me that I would probably stay at 80% as well. They never told me about SSDI my sister told me I should apply and I did that on my own. In stead of going the VSO route to put in a new claim I just called the 800 line and took that route.

• In Memoriam

Looks like you are doing fine. You have a very good sister there. Bet you get SSDI within 6 months.

I am not really knocking VSO's. They are good filing clerks who can time stamp things. VSO's can also keep you updated about your claims if you can get them to call back.

"I just remember being in the army in my Meb stage and never able to reach my PEBLO which was frustrating."

I bet it was!

Do you have a copy of your NARSUM and does VA have a copy of it too?

How long ago was your discharge?