Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability ?

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

Hello All, and thanks for the great Podcast with Bob Walsh the other day.

I really liked what he was talking about on Social Security Disability. Bob stated that even if you don't have enough quarters paid in you should still apply.

That's what got me thinking. I retired early from the Federal Government after 30 years, CSRS, 3 years ago, due to my VA disabilities. I would have worked longer if I was able to, but my disabilities told me different. During these 30 years I didn't pay into Social Security, but I did pay into the system earlier in my working career, a total of 23 quarters.

I recently got awarded 100% TDIU P&T after 3 years of back and forth with the VA.

My plan after I retired from the Government was to have a part time job to finish paying my quarters into Social Security. Well that's not going to happen now.

So, here's my question, am I able to apply for Social Security Disability even if I haven't paid into the system in over 30 years?

Thanks for all you do here at Hadit.com for Veterans.

Edited by foreveryoung

Hamslice,

I have actually told a couple of people to check them out, and if they offer to represent you, you might be able to go it alone -- if they turn your case down, you might start looking for an attorney. lol.

By the way -- Congrats to you daughter! Your post was so funny - but I am not good at replying on my phone.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Well we got the Application in....it was a young girl I had problems understanding her she talk soft but my wife could.

...we were there little over a hour, the clerk mostly was typing, my wife told her about why she stopped work because her employer let her go because of her disability's,, wife presented her evidence medical records and D'r letter

She ask her to make the on set date be Oct 2011 and she told us that they can't make her onset date back then because she was working in between...I had made some copies regarding the on set dates that was on the SSA web site she read it and made a supplement order form but advised that it probably won't be awarded...but she said it depends a lot on the medical information and the people who read it that makes the decision..

Anyway we know she will probably be denied on that we just hope she is awarded the SSD?...if she is denied on the on set date (when she became disable but still worked were getting an attorney to help with that because she falls in the category of what the SSA web site mention.

The clerk said she should be getting letters within the next two/three month 'possibly for information ect,,ect,,, and possibly a decision in 3 or 4 months.....but like Hamslice mention the wait could be a longer wait.

We hope that what I got coming in with the VA & My SSA Retirement will get us by the next 6 months or so.

we just had a whole new Central Heat &A/C installed last year and financed it..a Bill we don't usually have.

We have some savings but we don't want to get into that , but may have to .

Oh well I mention to my wife we may go stock up the frezzer with bologna (on sale) and Bread the next 6 /12 months....she said yep & we can call it Round Steak. eh!

Thanks Everyone for your help and suggestion/opinions we both appreciate you guys.

......................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Mmm, mmm, balogna. One of my favorites..

Good job Buck, sounds like you got a lot of information on you application right from the start.

If you get denied twice, you can appeal and it goes to the Judge. They schedule out to 18 months (in Wisconsin). Ours was 13 months out. But we settled at around 3 months after second denial with help from ALLSUP.

Again, good job,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck52

Getting SSD and VA benefits is a tough roe to hoe. It took 4 months to get SSD and 5 and 1/2 years for VA although all rewards were incremental and got back pay. My thought for you is that no matter how bad it looks it will work out and you can manage. For some reason we were always able to eat, keep the lights on and survive. It has been my theory that the reason it drags out is to get people a test to see if they really are not able to work.

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Pete53

I think we be ok just don't know how long the wait is.

.....................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is what I gave the SSA Clerk bout the on set date!

because she didn't even know about the on set date rules or provisions.

she probably was 19 years old ...eh!

Onset Date of Disability

Question 10 says “Enter the date you became unable to work because of your illness, injuries, or conditions.” This date is called your alleged onset date, the date that you claim your disability began. The onset date is important and will affect how much backpay (retroactive benefits) you will receive if you claim is approved. The earlier your onset date, the more backpay you'll get. (For more information, see our articles about disability back payments.)

If your disability began with a specific incident like a car accident, then this may be an easy question for you to answer. However, if your disability is caused by one or more illnesses that have worsened gradually over time, then the question will probably be difficult. Most people have never tried to remember the date they became disabled. The date of disability is usually considered to be when your medical condition started to make you unable to do your job effectively.

If you have never thought about when you became disabled, sit down with a calendar or talk with friends or family to jog your memory about the history of your disability. For example, it may be that you were diagnosed with fibromyalgia in October 2009 while you were still employed, but the illness worsened over time and resulted in some poor job performance. Friends and family may be able to help you remember when the illness impaired your ability to work, and that would be your onset date.

Another source of information that can help you establish your onset date is treatment providers (the doctors and hospitals you've visited). If you became disabled while you were seeing a medical provider, requesting and reviewing those medical records may help you pinpoint your onset date.

Details of Your Disability

Question 24 asks “What are the illnesses

..................Buck

Edited by Buck52