VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability ?

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

Hello All, and thanks for the great Podcast with Bob Walsh the other day.

I really liked what he was talking about on Social Security Disability. Bob stated that even if you don't have enough quarters paid in you should still apply.

That's what got me thinking. I retired early from the Federal Government after 30 years, CSRS, 3 years ago, due to my VA disabilities. I would have worked longer if I was able to, but my disabilities told me different. During these 30 years I didn't pay into Social Security, but I did pay into the system earlier in my working career, a total of 23 quarters.

I recently got awarded 100% TDIU P&T after 3 years of back and forth with the VA.

My plan after I retired from the Government was to have a part time job to finish paying my quarters into Social Security. Well that's not going to happen now.

So, here's my question, am I able to apply for Social Security Disability even if I haven't paid into the system in over 30 years?

Thanks for all you do here at Hadit.com for Veterans.

Edited by foreveryoung

• HadIt.com Elder

I think under the conditions she can file for unemployment. If she gets it she is supposed to look for work. Can she do the same work or something equal?

• HadIt.com Elder

well she wants to give it up to much pain in her back and other disability's keep her from doing her job efficiently.

she probably could but she just so tired of suffering so I don't blame her.

I tell her she just wore out like me.

.........................Buck

I am just trying to help too. Just hope you do better than what I found out. Good luck.

I don't know her age, but its a biggie is she is under 50.

Also, I would not try for unemployment, because I believe they would count that against you. Uneployment benifits are payed to some out of work, but ready to go back.

I did not collect uneployment when I went the police academy because I was unavailable for work. I could have collected, but would have had to lie on the weekly checklist. "Were you available for work"

She could very well get unemployment, but she would have to say that she was available for work, etc...

Good luck,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree with ya Hamslice...& Thanks

No she won't file for unemployment if she has to look for work ''cause she can't work''. ( I should not have ask about that dummy me)

She just going to file for total disability and hopefully get a 3 year onset date...were gonna ask for it if she is denied we'll get an experience SS attorney, were ready for the long haul hope its not but that's just the way it is.

We go Wed to the SSA Office (have an appointment 10:15 am)

Thanks Everyone!

.................Buck

I stand by what I said. One year before you can get benifits, plus six months. You have to be out of work for a year...

Hamslice

Just went through it with my wife..

Hamslice,

My husband's work dropped below substantial gainful in August 2006. He stopped work completely in December 2006. He applied for SSDI in May 2007 and received his first payment in June 2007. They went back to August 2006 to start his waiting period and paid him for January - May in June. He was not out of work for a year. You don't have to be out of work for a year before you can get benefits. If you can show you will not be able to work for at least a year. Granted, it may not be totally easy, but you don't have to wait a year to apply or get paid.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

This is the part I am talking about.

or

B) Is expected to prevent them from performing substantial gainful activity for twelve months (SGA, a.k.a. substantial gainful activity, is a monthly earnings amount that a person cannot exceed if they wish to be eligible for disability benefits. The current limit is here: SGA earnings limit),

And they count the twelve months...

Hamslice

However, This site says it is often better to wait a few months after you quit work before applying http://ultimatedisabilityguide.blogspot.com/2010/04/do-you-really-have-to-be-out-of-work.htmlas SSA workers will deny you more frequently if you apply right after you quit working.

This would especially be the case if SSA knew you were terminated instead of quitting.

So if you can wait a while before applying, it can be helpful to your case. However, you don't have to be out of work for a year before you apply (or are eligible). The site also said if you have to apply right away, to get a letter from your doctor stating that you are disabled and expect the disability to last over a year. I think that is good advice because even though you can state the doctor told your wife she was disabled two years ago, SSA can pull up the records and see what she has earned in the last two years (since he said that). So a letter from him stating her condition has worsened since that time and is not expected to improve would be helpful.

Edited by free_spirit_etc