VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability ?

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

Hello All, and thanks for the great Podcast with Bob Walsh the other day.

I really liked what he was talking about on Social Security Disability. Bob stated that even if you don't have enough quarters paid in you should still apply.

That's what got me thinking. I retired early from the Federal Government after 30 years, CSRS, 3 years ago, due to my VA disabilities. I would have worked longer if I was able to, but my disabilities told me different. During these 30 years I didn't pay into Social Security, but I did pay into the system earlier in my working career, a total of 23 quarters.

I recently got awarded 100% TDIU P&T after 3 years of back and forth with the VA.

My plan after I retired from the Government was to have a part time job to finish paying my quarters into Social Security. Well that's not going to happen now.

So, here's my question, am I able to apply for Social Security Disability even if I haven't paid into the system in over 30 years?

Thanks for all you do here at Hadit.com for Veterans.

Edited by foreveryoung

Contact the social security administration.

Initially, I would say you wouldn't be eligible. Maybe SSI, but there is a income level ceiling.

Contact your local SSA and get a correct answer.

I wish you luck.

"NEVER GIVE UP"

"Typically, if you are 31 or older, you must have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years to keep up your SSD coverage.

Even if you haven't worked for a long time, you might still be eligible for SSD benefits if your medical records show that your established onset date (EOD) of your disability precedes your DLI (date last insured). In other words, if you can prove that you became disabled before your federal disability insurance lapsed, you could still file for SSDI..."

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page11-4.html

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe a person can get the'' minimum'' on SSD/SSDI even if a person has not worked in years , they adjust the payment on the years a person has worked and will receive more because they paid into the system worked....The payment on the ''Minimum would be around 600 per month & if that person was married and spouse dies that had a work record then that person can collect spouse SSD which would be more but SSA would take out I think a 15% 20%deduction (not sure on how much the % deduction will be?

I think they have a program for funds for that type of claim. (not worked in years)...to many people get SSD and never worked even from another country.

The kicker here I don't know if his VA Comp matters? if its consider income then that maybe a problem? but then again most veterans get SSD/SSDI AND still get there VA Comp! However VA Comp is non-taxable non touchable!

So I'm not sure if he needs to report his VA Comp?

Note, I am no tax account or a lawyer or any type of person that is able to give profess advice , this is just my humble opinion

• HadIt.com Elder

VA Disability Comp and SSDI are two different things.

They supposedly do not depend on each other.

VA Pension, is a different critter, as is SSI for low income.

Social Security and Federal Retirement are two different systems.

In this case, foreveryoung would have to show he was disabled while he still had insured status with Social Security (i.e. 30 years ago).

It doesn't look promising.

"Typically, if you are 31 or older, you must have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years to keep up your SSD coverage.

Even if you haven't worked for a long time, you might still be eligible for SSD benefits if your medical records show that your established onset date (EOD) of your disability precedes your DLI (date last insured). In other words, if you can prove that you became disabled before your federal disability insurance lapsed, you could still file for SSDI..."

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page11-4.html