Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Taking Away Benefits! Chapter35!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was awarded TDIU P&T back in 2003 with Chapter 35 for my spouse, she started using the VAMC for her Healthcare, she had triple by pass Heart surgery from the VA back in 2005 & it saved her life and she has been using the VA ever since.

She had Back surgery was being treated there (VAMC) for years and now the ChampVA says the VA has closed all specialty clinics to her wtf?

She can only use her PCP for general health & even tho Her PCP puts in request to these other clinics but today the clinic called and said she no longer can receive these benefits.

So I guess Chapter 35 no longer exsit? or the benefits don't exsit?

We Appreciate all the medical Help the VA has provided her in the last 12/13 years and now to be turned away eh!

Just makes me feel like I been degrading as a Veteran and my country has turn its Back on us.

so now were up a creek! eh!

Any other Veterans having this problem?

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

'' Did the same sort of thing to Retired Military'' ? wow sounds like plain old discrimination to me!

Philip what do you mean by ''It's not the VA fault she didn't use the benefits?''

She used the benefits for as long as she could &was being treated by VA!

Her health is going down hill since her surgery's that the VA Performed and when she needs the benefits the most she is outcast cut off so long baby good luck and this VAMC is supposed to be one of the best in the country.

I guess I had forgot about the 10 year status.

she can't receive Medicare because she is just turn 60 back in Sept.

Yeah I guess we will start using outside medical now. that's the way the Mop Flops.

Thanks Everyone!

Buck52 - when I stated ''It's not the VA fault she didn't use the benefits,'' I was referring to the Chap 35, educational benefits. ChampVA usually pays 75% of the allowed amount and she would have to pay 25%. It's still a pretty damn good health insurance policy, w/no premium!!! The problem is that the VA can't bill ChampVA - same w/Medicare. For a number of years she got free care from the VA and if it were me I'd be thankful for that. The VA just recently cut back on treating spouses.

jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

yes were both thankfull the VAsaved her life, its just that all of a sudden during her treatments they closed the clinics to her.

but I had forgot about the 10 year.

what we plan to do is find a insurance that is honest and does what they say and pay the deductible.

use ChampVA for her meds.....this just hit us so we got to figured it out.

I understand Philip

Thank you for that info

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck: She's pulling SSDI, right. I just recently got IU T&P 06/14, immediately enrolled wife for CHAMPVA. My wife took early SS @ 62, lost 25% of her full Retirement age Benefit. Approximately 3 mos later DX'd with Cancer, I filed for her SSDI immediately. Denied within 6 mos, appealed and awarded full Retro to mos before SSDI Application.When she turned 66 SSDI converted to straight SS benefit with Medicare. SS takes about $100.00 per mos for Medicare Part A. Picked up a full boat AARP Copay and prescription drug coverage for 145.00 per month. Free VA Medical would have been nice but I've decided if anything is life threatening, I want the Pros from Dover treating her and even myself. With 1 phone call my personal Part B high deductible (I pay for everything) policy that costs 40.00 per mos will switch to full coverage for additional 100.00 per mos.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

ChampVA is better than the care I get at my VA hospital. My wife will get medicare pretty soon and then she will get all her medical care with no co-pays or dedutibles for about a little over $100 bucks a month. ChampVA coordinates with Medicare very well. I have to pay for my medigap policy. I am sure it will cost me $2000 a year. I don't think getting serious care at the VA may be such a good idea. Over the last ten years they have told me I had a stroke, heart attack and that I moved to Maine. All these things are wrong. They have made some really bad mistakes with diagnosing and treating me. I would not cry because I was not able to use the VA for treatment if I had an alternative. Going to doctors and hospitals is dangerous enough. A doctor was direct cause of me getting severe staff infection. It is so common I failed in my lawsuit. The doctors get off scot free when they infect you due to unclean conditions in their office or in hospital.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

No she still works but she very well could get SSDI... Her Dr told her she could get SSDI But she don't qualify for Medicare she just turn 60. But when she does get SDI we understand she has a 2 year waiting period for Medicare and of course when she turns 65/66 things should be a lot better as for as co pay and premiums mix with Champ VA and her other Insurance carrier.

However She loves her job taking care of an elderly lady that she calls Grandma and it is like staying with your Grandma the family is very nice and no problem taking off work for Dr Appoinments ect,,ect,, she been doing this 18 years, but my spouse health is going downhill the only thing about her still working is the Job Is fairly eazy the elderly lady can still dress herself but been dx with Alzimmers she lost her short term memory.

But we both know she has to stop working soon and we just need to get a plan to cover our healthcare ...I had planned on VA the rest of my life but if they don't help her (which they did for the 10 year limit) and were thankful for that but since the VA Healthcare is not all that good quality of care I think I will start using the private sector also.

I Agree with you John 999 yes sir!

Edited by Buck52