VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mdd/ptsd C&p In The Morning

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

Well the time has arrived, I have a C&P in the morning and I assume that since almost nothing of my PTSD claim has been discussed with my MH Psych or Social worker that they are looking at the MDD. I will take what evidence I have pertaining to the PTSD claim just in case. All I can do now is be honest and hope for the best.

Wish me luck.

Coastie72

Coastie: C & P PTSD VA or Contract Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD probably give little or just about no credence to your VA or Private Dr's DX of your PTSD. Since the VA PTSD changed the PTSD C&P Requirements (mid 2011 or so) and began using the DSM V last year, your claims fate rests with the results of your PTSD DBQ that will be completed tomorrow.

Your kinda at the 11th hour, with your C&P being tomorrow. If you haven't already reviewed the PTSD DBQ, not a bad idea. When I had my PTSD C & P 2010, I didn't know about the DBQ's or the PTSD Examiners Best practices Manual either. So just be yourself, don't try to be any better or worse off than you actually are. These PTSD C&P Examiners are trained to be on the look out for false claims and it's their responsibility to confirm your PTSD DX and the level of your Disability so the VA Raters can look at the completed DBQ and verify your SC Comp Level. When my C&P was over (11/2 hrs) I asked, "Well Doc do I have PTSD?" His only answer was "Yes." He didn't offer anything else and I really didn't think of anything else to ask. Afterwards I got turned on to the 38 CFR 4, thought I was at 30 for sure, maybe a lite 50. Ended up getting a 70% about 5 months later. About a yr or so later, never thought to check earlier, I got a copy of the PTSD C&P including the DBQ from the VA Hosp medical records. Check with your record Dept not My Healthy Vet after about a week or two. You should be able to determine exactly where you'll end up, give or take 40% or so.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Thanks very much Gastone...I have looked over the PTSD DBQ and all I can say is I'm nervous as can be, but I sort of stay that way. My evidence is not overwhelmingly strong as far as my PTSD stressors are concerned, but I do have proof of one incident and records to show I was there. I know the truth, I know the dreams, I know the sleepless nights, I know that depression has messed up my life, I know the rage I sometime have for no apparent reason, I know the countless times I have mentally abused my wife and most importantly, I know the root of it all. It concerns me that it took me 40 years to finally seek help.

I'll tell the truth and hope that the chips fall where they should. Thankful to be alive.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck Costie72...you'll do ok!

Remember whether it is PTSD or MDD, it doesnt matter as far as mental disorders go. They compensate the same. Just tell your story. Its more than just the stressor, it is what are your symptoms and what effect does it have in your earning potential (remember they are compensating for lack of earning power and social impact, not so much quality of life, in my opinion. If this is your first c&p they will be extensive. They must follow the dbq. Tjey want to know about how you grew up, your time in service pre-stressor(s). They want to know how you were effected by stressor. How are you still currently effected? Have you been in any trouble with law? any suicide.or homicidal thoughts? sleeping issues, panic attacks? Lack of enjoyment in things you used to enjoy, sense of life being shortened? Survivors guilt, nightmares, any work related issues (fired, moved to different position, monitored more closely),an self medicating, depression, numbness....sorry just trying to help. it is a revaluation that is more on what is currently going on since.your last c&p, not having to start from begining.