VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Denied. Says I Can Be A Cashier.

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

Anyone know of a good lawyer to contact in SoCal? It basically said that I was denied because I can still perform work that I did 12 years ago as a cashier. Even though it shows that I have clear panic attacks in public. I figured it would happen but hoped for the best. Next step: lawyer up. Thanks in advance!

-Mario

A trick question they ask is .. can you answer a phone. if you say yes, with no additional info .. your screwed/ you better say yes I can answer, but might fall asleep, or insult the caller, or bang the phone on the table into its in 1.000 pieces.

Edited by 63SIERRA

Wow that was quick! Thanks guys. And this was an initial claim. My records reflect pretty much everything that's wrong with me. Like I said, I was expecting a denial, but hoped for the approval.

The cashier thing seems to be their main rebuttal. Me and my wife are starting the process to find a lawyer so thanks for the tips.

She also got approved for the Caregiver program at tier 2,so I wonder if that fact will help. I will keep you all posted on the details as they come. Thanks again.

-Mario

Really? I didn't know that. How does that work with them not being local?

Some larger law firms might have several cases in the same area. If you have a strong case, they also might be able to get a "on the record" decision. In fact, most lawyers would probably file for an on the record decision -- which basically says there is enough information in the file to grant the claim without talking to you. They really shouldn't have to personally speak to you if there is enough medical evidence in your file. If the judge doesn't grant an on the record decision, that means he / she wants to talk to you, or your witnesses before making a decision.

The lower level employees have to follow POMS in issuing decisions. ( OR they are supposed to). But the judge follows the law; not POMS. So the judge has a lot more leeway, and can take many more things into consideration (in your favor).

Keep in mind there are probably quite a few attorneys that will take your case -- so if you don't feel comfortable with one after talking to them, keep looking.

Good luck with your claim!