VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There Anything That Helps You Fall Asleep And Feel Safe.

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I wake up to sound that I know are nothing. I am always thinking that someone is going to break into my house so I am always preparing my mind to defend. My Doc has prescribed me some sleeping meds but I don't have the balls to take them, I am afraid they will kill me or the need will arise that I will need to defend my wife and kids an wont be able to wake up.

Also anyone else beside me wake up to loud sounds in your head, sound like two trash can lids banging together. This is the closest description that I could find http://www.sleepeducation.com/sleep-disorders-by-category/parasomnias/exploding-head-syndrome/overview-facts

I don't even like walking up to my own house I am always checking to make sure that no one is waiting for me I really wish I could shake this feeling I do feel better once I have checked.

Edited by WVSERVER

• HadIt.com Elder

Our two Maltese could hear a knat fart in there sleep, like 63SIERRA Mention above Lol.

Sleep meds give me a hangover.../headaches.

................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Getting your wife to rub/massage your back may help. Tea or even hot chocolate/coco may also.

With extreme moderation, a single mixed drink or a glass of wine may as well.

I won't sleep soundly just because I want to hear anything happening outside.

Day and night I would go to every window in the house to check what made the noise. Security cameras became more affordable and I bought a system that can accept 16 cameras. I only have 9 cameras now but need a few more to cover a few unseen areas. Sometimes I go back to the recordings to check something. It makes me feel better.

A VSO recently said to me. "I thought you said you have no PTSD?". I don't I told him, that's normal, right? Apparently that's not true except for veterans.

I've discovered other issues I thought were normal too. They were buried in my mind and I want to keep them there instead of seeking deserved benefits. It's just not worth it and I'll be dead before I ever see anything.

I've used the Lorex camera systems with no problems for several years. Not an endorsement, just positive feedback.

Until a few weeks ago, I would wake up in a panic in the middle of the night, with a surge of adrenaline and a feeling of not being safe. It would take hours to get back to sleep and then the slightest noise would wake me up again in a start, even wearing earplugs. I too have experienced the hearing of a loud banging sound in my head and now that I have been sleeping soundly, I think that it was a sleep deprivation hallucination like the previous poster said.

But a couple of things have helped me greatly. Before bed and when I would wake up in a panic, I would focus on my breathing and repeating to myself that I am safe and can now relax. And I would try to really conjure that feeling by bringing up an image of being held in someone's arms. Or I would actually ask my husband to hold me and let myself feel safe. Working with this feeling, with the intention to heal this wound has really helped me to start to feel balanced again. (Hopefully, I don't sound too New Age here, ha!)

I also now take two Theanine Serene by Source Naturals which has an amino acid that has been shown to induce calming brain waves, combined with a few herbs and magnesium for muscle tension. I take this before bed, along with one diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and have been sleeping so soundly. I also cut out all caffeine as that was really fueling the sense of panic and need to protect myself.

Just throwing these things out there, in the hopes that they might help you find some peace...

Happy Memorial Day