VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There Anything That Helps You Fall Asleep And Feel Safe.

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I wake up to sound that I know are nothing. I am always thinking that someone is going to break into my house so I am always preparing my mind to defend. My Doc has prescribed me some sleeping meds but I don't have the balls to take them, I am afraid they will kill me or the need will arise that I will need to defend my wife and kids an wont be able to wake up.

Also anyone else beside me wake up to loud sounds in your head, sound like two trash can lids banging together. This is the closest description that I could find http://www.sleepeducation.com/sleep-disorders-by-category/parasomnias/exploding-head-syndrome/overview-facts

I don't even like walking up to my own house I am always checking to make sure that no one is waiting for me I really wish I could shake this feeling I do feel better once I have checked.

Edited by WVSERVER

• HadIt.com Elder

Has anyone been asleep and you hear a voice call your name and it wakes you up & it as if that person was standing in the same room.

I been getting a lot of that lately and seems so real gives me the hibby jibbys

..............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

870 Remington under the bed, plus alarm system helps me rest. I hear phone ringing all the time when it is not ringing at night. If I hear breaking glass that is when I will really get alarmed. I live in a safe neighborhood if there is such a thing. I don't trust the police except as clear-up crew after the killings have occurred. I have security lights and cameras all around the house. The lights have motion detectors and are mounted high. My house is on a corner lot with good side views to back. They will get lit up one way or the other coming into the back where the windows might be breached. I have solid wood doors with deadbolts. The Alarm system is expensive but I have tested it a few times and I get immediate call. When I lived alone I used to hear all kinds of stuff at night. It was creepy even though I knew it was nothing.

John

Go to the store in the vitamin aisle. Get a bottle of Melatonin. Melatonin is what your body naturally produces when you sleep. With insomnia problems, our bodies arent wanting to produce normal levels. Give it a boost with the Melatonin. It is a natural sleep, not a drugged up, coma like sleep that you get from prescription sleeping pills. If you need to wake up in an emergency, its no problem. Im guessing the trash can lids clanging are likely a sleep deprived hallucination. Give it a few nights of good rest on the Melatonin and I would bet that noise will go away.

Oh man you just answered my question, dilemna I was having. I just started taking Ambien and let me tell you that stuff is worse than the pain that is causing my insomnia. It's evil, pure evil and causes me to hallucinate bigtime and I NOW have some funky dreams. WTH is the VA doing to people giving these types of meds to people with insomnia knowing that cause more problems.

I forgot about the Melatonin and yes our bodies produces it but with insomnia it doesn't produce as much like it should.

I used to get that symbols clash when I was sleeping. Put me on my feet many times from a dead sleep. I started to figure that its not a physical thing, I get startled and exited from it, my heartbeat goes from 0-100 in less time than than a Porche, but its in my head. I was thinking it was a spirit thing for the longest time, so I studied things of the spirit, and it did not go away. I tried drugs as well, but they only slowed me down when I jumped up...

I ended up figuring it was an effect that I experienced from like dream walking. At a certain point, as I leave my body in a dream state, the separation of my non-physical psyche from my body is what creates the sound. Its not audible, and cant be recorded, and only I am aware of its existence. The noise is short, sudden, and I cannot will it to recur, nor can I predict its occurance.

But I am in control of my facilities, so to speak. I am a spiritual creature in a physical body, and as such,am ignorant of the spiritual nature that is me. So I slow down, instead of responding with fear when this happens, I take a deep breath and gather my facilities about myself, and observe the conditions that exist when they happen. So far, I have never been in danger when I experience this, so after so many times, I my self must admit that this fear reaction is not logical.

Edited by pwrslm

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Oh man you just answered my question, dilemna I was having. I just started taking Ambien and let me tell you that stuff is worse than the pain that is causing my insomnia. It's evil, pure evil and causes me to hallucinate bigtime and I NOW have some funky dreams. WTH is the VA doing to people giving these types of meds to people with insomnia knowing that cause more problems.

I forgot about the Melatonin and yes our bodies produces it but with insomnia it doesn't produce as much like it should.

My VA doc used to prescribe ambien, but switched me to trazodone. At least ambien would guarantee a couple of hours of sleep. All the traz guarantees is a morning hangover. And when I tell them it doesn't work, they tell me to take more. Oof... :blink: