VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

patmend2

Question

Hello Everyone,

After being approved for Voc Rehab and driving 35 miles back and forth to the VR&E office, I was recently sent a letter denying me for these benefits. Overall, it was a TERRIBLE experience. I felt like she was patronizing me each time i walked into her office. Despite taking the tests, giving her my transcripts and everything going smoothly(i thought), it seemed like each time I met with her their were new reasons to string me along not give me an IWRP. One time it was the testing, the next time it was that she wasnt prepared. I almost felt as if the counselor Allison, Didn't want me to be a part of the program(despite being approved and being entitled for the VR&E benefits). I felt defeated and even went as far as calling the regional office in Philadelphia. That proved to not work as the associate VRO told me that "my counselor knows my situation and file best, she should be able to point me in the right direction."

Can anyone else share their experience (good, bad or ugly) and interactions with VOC Rehab getting(or TRYING TO get) the benefits we are entitled to in the VR&E program?

Thanks,

Pat

On 9/27/2019 at 12:30 PM, VVAN27 said:

I was accepted to my dream school and we finalized my training plan.

there are some pieces missing in what you state. The school of your dreams, if accredited, is not going to accept you unless you have filled out a FAFSA and been approved.

That you get VocRehab money is irrelevant to that reality.

You apparently chose NOT to accept that student loan as you said because you could not afford the future 8K debt. Yet if this degree is that expensive then the income from it should more than cover the 8K if you had bothered to continue and fight with the VA to get your VocRehab situation addressed.

you cut off your nose to spite your face.

Secondly, you have your GI Bill, so why weren't you just going through the standard process instead of a VocRehab process? Your rating percentage has squat to do with you using your GI Bill. It is yours if you were honorably discharged. Period. Full Stop.

You don't need to have an IWRP done using regular GI Bill. The Government does not limit you to any career. The GI bill is yours even if you left the service with a Doctorate, you can use your GI bill for any other degree you want to get. it does not matter.

If the situation was that your school was too expensive for your GI Bill then take out a loan and apply for grants. The school is your choice to attend not the tax payer obligation to pay for an Ivy League education if the tuition is outside the normal payment scale. 

I have multiple advance degrees and my GI Bill was for crap. I paid for them all on my own. I never understand Americans who expect others to pay for their education. Anyone can get a student loan unless you are a felon or have burned the Dept of Ed on other loans. There is no credit requirement.

so even if you had bumps in the road getting the VocRehab money you had options.

Why did you chose to have a hissy fit and throw it all away?

On 8/3/2015 at 7:43 AM, Buck52 said:

what do you mean high toilet's?

Buck they sell what is called "comfort height toilets" they are 17" - 19" high compared to the standard 15" high toilets. I have had them before and will get them again after I move, they are just easier to get up from when your joints bother you. There is not a big difference in cost for the higher toilets.

A lot here does not make sense-Voc Rehab is not the same thing as the GI Bill.

My husband did not have the GI Bill. He had a SC disability that fell into the Voc Rehab Criteria.

Although that as many years ago, the formal APP form was revised recently- but still basically like what he filled out:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-28-1900-ARE.pdf

Is that what the Voc Rehab person had you fill out?

Or Are you waiting for a SC claim to be processed?

This is a very concise rendition of this program, done by Ben Krause, who is an attorney:

https://www.disabledveterans.org/vocational-rehabilitation/

My husband applied in the late spring for this program, knowing it would take VA time to process his app, and etc etc, so that he was ready to enroll in Fall semester.

He was outside the deadline, but as the info at the link says, he was found to have a severe employment handicap due to his PTSD. The VA liaison at the college helped him get the books, etc etc, he needed in time for the classes.

This regards Voc Rehab, but maybe you mean you had  the GI Bill????

"Over a month has passed. I finally let it all go, but I still can't find work, I am about to be out of money. I started selling off anything of value but it won't be enough to sustain my family much longer. Lesson learned is that if you do VR&E do not quit your job until you have books in hand prior to classes starting."

I dont get that-my husband had no intention of quitting his job when he started Voc Rehab.

He worked for the VA. His career plan ( part of Voc Rehab process) was to get a better job, as 

he had been a former Nuclear Power Plant Operator, and also had a PHVAC license.

He quit the VA when he got hired by the power company here in NY. 

Can you scan and attach here the denial? Cover your C file # name, address prior to scanning it

Edited by Berta

6 minutes ago, asknod said:

Instead, Vet gets insulted for his/her ignorance of how the system works.

no one has insulted anyone...except you that is.

You are once again trying to stir up crap that does not exist.

7 minutes ago, asknod said:

I apologize for the insensitive responses of others,  VVAN27.

this is amazingly rich considering your own words and behaviors.

I will point out you don't speak for me and I know of no one else here who has appointed you their public spokesperson.

8 minutes ago, asknod said:

Just for the record, there is no law or regulation forbidding you from seeking VR&E entitlement before (or after) using your GI bill entitlement.

you are the only person that is even suggesting there was a law or regulation.

what there was is a very upfront question of why this person decided to just quit instead of using any or all of the alternatives he had available to him.

After all this was his "dream school", so just getting mad and running away does not make sense in the post he made.

9 minutes ago, asknod said:

However, paper trails are now apparently fair game to leave them behind on if they are perceived as stupid or mentally deficient as to how the system works

and on that attempt to insult everyone on here you have a grudge against, and apparently that is many.

What value you might have had is overshadowed by your snide, insulting posts where you deem you can insult others but then have a fit when anyone speaks back.

I suggest you go back to your mental health counselor and get a tune up .

I am now blocking you.

This is the second time in a week that Alex has insulted many of us .AGAIN ..and besides the form he mentioned to someone was the Wrong  form----------because that widow's claims situation changed AGAIN----

You are right- there has been a significant change in his behavior over the years. Even those on his site noticed it.

I for one refuse to be intimidated by him and I dont care whose POA he Holds ( Tbirds) -I wouldn't care if he held the POA of the POPE.

I dont need any of this crap. 

Obviously we are still being expected to put up with it. 

Not me.