VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI Review

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

I received the paperwork for Social Security a month or so ago saying that my case was up for review.  It had some paperwork to fill out, etc.  I filled it out and also enclosed my 100% IU permanent and total letter when mailing it back.  Yesterday I received a letter back saying that they weren't reviewing my case at this time and that I need to notify social security if anything changes.  I have never had any doctor or medical appointment for my SSDI, just my VA records.  Do I just sit back and wait for them to decide to review or does this mean they will look at it again in 3 years?

10 minutes ago, seminoles said:

I received the paperwork for Social Security a month or so ago saying that my case was up for review.  It had some paperwork to fill out, etc.  I filled it out and also enclosed my 100% IU permanent and total letter when mailing it back.  Yesterday I received a letter back saying that they weren't reviewing my case at this time and that I need to notify social security if anything changes.  I have never had any doctor or medical appointment for my SSDI, just my VA records.  Do I just sit back and wait for them to decide to review or does this mean they will look at it again in 3 years?

The letter regarding 100% P&T on file with SSA will probably move a review out to at least every seven years, if not longer.  I wouldn't sweat it.  Unless, of course you try to tackle working again. JMO

1 minute ago, MPsgt said:

The letter regarding 100% P&T on file with SSA will probably move a review out to at least every seven years, if not longer.  I wouldn't sweat it.  Unless, of course you try to tackle working again. JMO

Thanks MPsgt, I will just hope they push it out and don't give me a hard time.  I am glad I enclosed that letter as well as their paperwork. 

Glad to hear that you were continued bud. I just got letter to be Reviewed for the first time. I am nervous as hell like most. I am 100% VA Permanent, Medically Retired from Navy, and my wife is my full time VA Caregiver. I still hate going thru all these processes over and over again, always some form of Govt coming after us. I am submitting everything to the SSA next week. I hope they dont bother me for atleast the  7 year mark. Good luck and God Bless to all on this coming 4th.

12 minutes ago, Navy04 said:

Glad to hear that you were continued bud. I just got letter to be Reviewed for the first time. I am nervous as hell like most. I am 100% VA Permanent, Medically Retired from Navy, and my wife is my full time VA Caregiver. I still hate going thru all these processes over and over again, always some form of Govt coming after us. I am submitting everything to the SSA next week. I hope they dont bother me for atleast the  7 year mark. Good luck and God Bless to all on this coming 4th.

I am IU PT, no caregiver as I am not post 9/11 but I don't think I have anything to worry about with SS any longer.  I just added more sc to my VA stuff and I now have 3 things that are documented in writing that the VA states would prevent me from substantial gainful employment, each one alone......not combined.   I was awarded SSDI before IU PT and without any exams, soley on my VA records and then the VA awarded me IU PT based upon the new evidence of SSDI awarding me based soley on my sc conditions.  Ah the irony of the system we deal with. 

9 hours ago, seminoles said:

I am IU PT, no caregiver as I am not post 9/11 but I don't think I have anything to worry about with SS any longer.  I just added more sc to my VA stuff and I now have 3 things that are documented in writing that the VA states would prevent me from substantial gainful employment, each one alone......not combined.   I was awarded SSDI before IU PT and without any exams, soley on my VA records and then the VA awarded me IU PT based upon the new evidence of SSDI awarding me based soley on my sc conditions.  Ah the irony of the system we deal with. 

My dumbA didn't even know what SSDI was until this year. I've filed it when I was granted IU last November got intial denial for my TBI/ ptsd residuals this May and filed my appeal for reconsideration since I live in Delaware I can't bypass that right after I filed I was granted Permanent and Total for my TBI dx with a chronic adjustment disorder and sleep apnea using a Cpap machine at night. I know the rate at the reconsideration is about 10% but when I handed her my PT she looked confused she'd never seen one so she asked and found out it means my files been expedited. I'm not sure what else there is to do other then going to my scheduled monthly appointments and they also what to send me to an inpatient rehab in a few months for my TBI. Is there any advice I can get that could help me when at this stage? Sorry about robbing the topic poster..

7 hours ago, jfrei said:

My dumbA didn't even know what SSDI was until this year. I've filed it when I was granted IU last November got intial denial for my TBI/ ptsd residuals this May and filed my appeal for reconsideration since I live in Delaware I can't bypass that right after I filed I was granted Permanent and Total for my TBI dx with a chronic adjustment disorder and sleep apnea using a Cpap machine at night. I know the rate at the reconsideration is about 10% but when I handed her my PT she looked confused she'd never seen one so she asked and found out it means my files been expedited. I'm not sure what else there is to do other then going to my scheduled monthly appointments and they also what to send me to an inpatient rehab in a few months for my TBI. Is there any advice I can get that could help me when at this stage? Sorry about robbing the topic poster..

I have no idea, I did the SSDI route before being awarded IU PT and hired an attorney as I had gone to see him about my Va stuff because and he advised me to file for SSDI and use that to as leverage to use with the VA and it worked, at that time an attorney could only take a maximum of 6k or 25% of your backpayment of SS whichever was less I received the maximum period of backpayment allowed by SS so it was well worth the 6k for him to do everything.  I was awarded at my hearing fully favorable (they deny almost everyone unless you have terminal cancer initially) which my attorney had never seen done before.  SS never sent me for a single exam, only used my VA records and my attorney scoured the mountain of records, etc.  He was absolutely right about using that as new evidence (which he didn't charge me for) I simply submitted it within my year of denial for IU and was awarded IU PT.  I had no idea I could receive SSDI until I walked into his office and if I hadn't, I would have missed the window of having enough work credits in the last 10 years or whatever the rule is.