Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU question

Rate this question

melonbread

Question

I'm pretty sure there is information regarding my question somewhere but I'm still little confused on what is the difference between TDIU and P&T?

I thought when you are granted TDIU you are automatically 100% and your kids and spouse are subject to chapter 35 benefits? and P&T just means it's permanent?

You can be awarded IU but not PT, if you can print out a commissary letter or that you are permanent and total or if they included Chapter 35 paperwork in your award those are all indications that you are PT, as is no future exams required.  Sometimes is almost seems to be written in code.  If you aren't sure go on ebenefits and see if you can choose permanent and total when you are making your letter or if you can print a commissary letter.

That is correct.

• HadIt.com Elder

It should be on your Award Letter if your P&T And they usually send most of the forms to fill out for chapter35 and other benefits.

b/c if your P&T you will know it.

jmo

.................................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

What if the veteran is rated TDIU P&T  FROM A 90% COMBINED RATING And files for another claim different from his original S.C. disability?

Ok the VA Warrant him Total & Perm Disabled.  warranted a TDIU P&T Rating, b/c he can't work due solely on this disability using the 4.16 (b) extra scheduler. (this  means full benefits) chapter 35, commissary letter ,property tax exemption, the whole 9 yards.

NOW

Say he files for PTSD  and is rated 70% and the VA uses the statutory ratings table to put the veteran on SMC-S1.  H.B. extra 347.00 with spouse......now heres the kicker

Veteran gets his Award packet in mail and all the benefits ,and it has a special noted benefit >EDUCATIONAL ALLOWANCE, to finish school and get a degree, why would the VA send this with this type of rating?  I mean if he/she can't work b/c of there original s.c. disability?

Does this change the veterans overall rating? so the Veteran can work and be clear of IU?

I don't think they count the ratings % over or after the 100% but they do look att he ratings table to see if the veteran quailfy's for SMC's

if your rated 100% and  have others that  beef you way up  say 2 or 3 more high rating past 100%  say 190%   the veteran is still considered by the VA to be 100% disabled.

jmo

.......................Buck

Edited by Buck52