VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

E D secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.research.va.gov/currents/spring2015/spring2015-3.cfm

How Hard (no pun intended) is it to claim ED secondary to PTSD?

Do the MH Dr need to note this  or the PCP?  WHO?

According to this link?

Anybody know if its a 10% rating?

ED is an SMC K Award.

You have to have the DX, that takes an MD/DO.

As to PCP or Urologist, DX and DBQ or Clinician Notes from either will work. I used a VA Urologist, with a walk-in request for the DBQ.

DRO took one look at the DBQ, reversed the Denial, Awarded SMC K.

Semper Fi

Its possible, or even likely, that ED is secondary to MEDICATIONS for PTSD.  In fact, MOST of the anti depressants, have a side effect which includes ED.  

An easy way to check is simply do a search on the meds you are taking for PTSD and see if/how many of these list as a side effect ED.  I think the list that DONT cause ED is easier:  Buproprion apparently does not.  

SMC K is not "10%" its added to your compensation, for loss of use, and is usually about 100 per month.

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Rate Table - Effective 12/1/14

There will be no COLA for 2016 so the rates are the same as last year.

SMC Rate Payment variation
K $103.23 Usually added to other rate or paid as the rate when percentage is zero

Its the same as every OTHER Secondary:

YOu need a current diagnosis, 

And

YOu need evidence that its at least as likely as not that your ED is due to medications for (service connected) PTSD.  

The good part is this is inferred.  This means if you apply today, and get approved, you should get retro all the way back to when its documented you were 100% AND diagnosed with ED.    You see, because its inferred, your "date of claim" should go back to the date of diagnosis. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I am sure I have  ED and started after I was taking the PTSD Meds...I just never mention it to any of my D'rs  my PCP & MH Dr are Female  and I am a little reluctant to address this with them rather embarrassing .

According to Asknod's Explanation of Mr Potato Head.

I don't think I'll get more $$ extra compensation ? I am getting SMC -S1  H.B....So to get more comp $$  wouldn't I need to be bedridden or lose my limbs to meet the SMC Criteria?

I would be doing this claim to just raise my ratings  so-to speak.

If I can get more comp$$  Please some one explain this to me??

An ED DX with an RX for the Pill,Pump or injection, still needs the DBQ or Clinician Notes, linking the ED DX to whatever Primary SC Condition your claiming caused the ED, to get the SMC K.

Asking for and Discussing the ED DBQ with a Female Dr is no more difficult than having a Female Dr give you a Prostate Exam. The fact they have smaller diameter fingers, is of course a plus. You do it once, you'll always want a SHE Dr.

Send your PCP or Urologist a Secure Msg on MHV, asking for the ED DBQ. Give a brief history of your ED, in relationship to your PTSD Meds. If the Dr agrees the SC Meds or Conditions are causing your "Dead Weapon," the SMC K Award should be a lock.

Semper Fi