VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid and attendance question

Rate this question

Brian Patrick

Question

Hello all! this is my first post so here goes.Just a quick question. My PCP filled out my form 21-2680 examination for house bound/ aid and attendance status. What is the next step in the process? On the instruction for the form it gives the option to apply for house bound or aid and attendance, any opinions on which might be better? 

Aid and Attendance means you have a caretaker. Housebound basically means you never (well, rarely) leave the house, usually due to depression/anxiety, etc (in my case) but can also be for chronic pain and other things. If you don't have a caretaker then go for housebound. In my case it was applied automatically since I have a 100% rating and an additional 60% or more in ratings so I ddint have to apply. I would assume it was the same as filing a claim for anything else, for you. Use Ebenefits if you have access and you can upload the document after you have scanned it, and the claim will be time stamped and you dont have to worry about the mail and lost documents. 

Incidentally, you can also download several free apps that let your phone act as a scanner so you dont have to go to a library, or a friends house, if you dont have a scanner. I use Cam Scanner but don't take that as an endorsement of it over anything else. There are several that ive tried over the years that all work great, but changing phones from apple to android and back means some no longer work because they are android or apple specific. Good luck!

How about posting a redacted copy of the 21-2680 completed by your VA PCP?

Do you currently have any Disabilities SC'd, if so, what is your CSC Rating and when was it Awarded.

An A & A Award is generally associated with VA Pension Vets, whereas a Housebound Award, either SMC S or S (1) is generally associated with Vets receiving Service Connected Comp.

The SMC S (1) is a statutory Housebound Award not requiring the SC Vet to actually be Housebound. He must have (1) SC rated at 100% by itself and have 1 or more additional SC's that have a CSC of 60% when considered apart from the (1) issue rated at the 100%.

• HadIt.com Elder

Great explanations from Gastone  what he mention in his post here is  Right On.

if you do not meet the SMC S H.B. Criteria

you will be denied.

And on this 21-2680 Form  unless the Dr  says yes to most all these questions you will be denied.

However: if you have a S.C. Condition of 100% or a combined rating less than 100% and/or on TDIU , as Gastone Points out 100% and a separate S.C. Condition of 60%  then  the rater will apply the SMC S -1 H.B ....some times unfortunately the raters don't catch it  but you will be able to get it by filing a timely NOD.

SIMPLY: 100% Plus another Separate  S.C. Condition that is separate and distink with in its self that has been rated 60%  will be inferred to SMC S1 H.B. 

Edited by Buck52