VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI C&P Exam Requested!!

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

@Buck52

@Berta

@Vync

Got a call today from the VA to report for a C&P Exam, 29 January 2018 for TBI.  The apt is with a Neurologist (PhD/Dr.)  The lady called the C&P a "Supplemental Request".  

Currently, I am waiting on the results from my PTSD C&P exam.  This exam was my FIVE YEAR C&P since my Medical Retirement. My C&P for PTSD (was 20 Oct 2017 (my schedule date for decision is from 8 Jan 18 - 15 Feb 18).  I medically retired 21 Nov 2011. 

To read up on my situation/questions for my C&P Exam for PTSD can see my entries within the PTSD Forum.

On E-benifits, I am rated the following: 

11/23/2011

post concussive headaches         30%        Service Connected         

Disability Evaluation System (DES)

While nothing in the VA says an "Award" of TBI, it was never ruled out nor was I tested.  I did sustain a massive IED, lost consciousness but I never went to the medics for this incident.  I was fighting a war at the time.  As stated, the lady that called today informed me that the C&P for TBI was "supplemental request" for my PTSD C&P dated 20 Oct 2017, which I am STILL waiting for a decision.  Therefore, this must be the trigger for the TBI C&P Exam.  

A few of my questions are:

1.  Why is the VA wanting a C&P for TBI when I don't have anything on E-Benefits that says TBI.  I do have Post Concussive Headaches, but not TBI.

2. Does this have anything to do with my current C&P (which is ongoing) for PTSD??? (I assume, YES; however, this concerns me, because I know how the VA can twist things.)

3.  Does the group have any advice to offer me on what I can do to keep my current 30% for Post Concussive Headaches??

4. And lastly, there are some very smart senior veterans on this Forum; therefore, I am open to any other advice offered!!!

Thank everyone in advance!!

Grumpbox

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually a TBI  C&P is a good thing (for service connection and ratings...

if you have no medical records or unit reports of the IED and accounts of what happen then use buddy statements on the day the event happen that resulted in your TBI you can use these for your  evidence.

and a VA Diagnoses for the TBI ..ITS UP TO THE Dr's to discover the difference between the TBI  and PTSD, TBI has by far other symptoms  but its hard for the Dr to differentiate  the two (PTSD/TBI)

These TBI Claims are fairly new to the system .

you may want to contact  hadit member jfrei he has been service connected for TBI Recently and can give you the information you need to go to your TBI C&P 

Edited by Buck52

Could b anything but sounds good to me. I have tbi and migraines rated together at 50%.  If u remember on the PTSD DBQ it states does veteran have current TBI diagnosed. So it goes hand and hand with PTSD.  Good luck and keep us posted.  Got bless

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It sounds promising.

I assume once the TBI exam is completed, then they may finish up the PTSD exam. TBI can be a contributing factor to MH disabilities.

Good luck!

I agree with VYNC, Navy04, and Buck and any others here who seem positive on this TBI exam.

It seems to me that VA could grant the PTSD claim based on a TBI stressor (IED causing the  post concussion headaches) which, it seems to me they have already conceded ,as a stressor , with the 30% award. 

Dont forget-a few years back VA found out that many VA docs were not diagnosing TBI properly and maybe they want to make sure they do your claim correctly. 

Heck,  Many  Vietnam vets - had land mine concussions, in country ,  etc etc, and they never even considered TBI in those days. Most of those vets probably never even got to see a Corpsman or medic in the field, had nothing in their SMRs about it, and they suffered from residuals of a TBI event they might even have forgotten about, due to the TBI itself.

The PTSD C & P  looked OK to me.But no mention of TBI. Yet you get 30% for post concussion headaches so I too think this next C & P exam is a good thing.

Grumpbox,I just read your Intro post:

"To all Brothers and Sisters that defend the Flag!

I just wanted to introduce myself briefly.  I am a medical retired MSG from the US Army with service dates of 1991-2011.  My prompt to join this site was an out of the blue call from the VA for a C & P Exam.  My first entry is in the PTSD Forum title, "C & P Exam within 48 hours."

If I can ever help any of you here, please don't hesitate to ask!!!  

My best to you all..."

I assume you were  medically retired -due to the post concussion headaches.

"Or is this the VA pulling a sticky-boy on me???" Maybe not the VA, but maybe the Mil did!!!!

Have you ever checked out the CRDP/CRSC info here?

This is two of many posts searchable here for info on these programs.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/49926-crdp-and-100-pt/#gsc.tab=0

https://community.hadit.com/topic/59618-crsc/#gsc.tab=0

An eligible can only pick one of these program but it is sure worth your while to consider that VA's next decision might put you into a favorable category for CRSC or CRDP.

I am thinking it might well be the CRSC category.

Edited by Berta

On the PTSD dbq it asks if u have a diagnosed tbi.  So the VA is just double checking ur current health conditions. I have had the VA grant a few new conditions that I did not even request SC for.  Sometimes the VA will actually do their job, lol