VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI C&P Exam Requested!!

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

@Buck52

@Berta

@Vync

Got a call today from the VA to report for a C&P Exam, 29 January 2018 for TBI.  The apt is with a Neurologist (PhD/Dr.)  The lady called the C&P a "Supplemental Request".  

Currently, I am waiting on the results from my PTSD C&P exam.  This exam was my FIVE YEAR C&P since my Medical Retirement. My C&P for PTSD (was 20 Oct 2017 (my schedule date for decision is from 8 Jan 18 - 15 Feb 18).  I medically retired 21 Nov 2011. 

To read up on my situation/questions for my C&P Exam for PTSD can see my entries within the PTSD Forum.

On E-benifits, I am rated the following: 

11/23/2011

post concussive headaches         30%        Service Connected         

Disability Evaluation System (DES)

While nothing in the VA says an "Award" of TBI, it was never ruled out nor was I tested.  I did sustain a massive IED, lost consciousness but I never went to the medics for this incident.  I was fighting a war at the time.  As stated, the lady that called today informed me that the C&P for TBI was "supplemental request" for my PTSD C&P dated 20 Oct 2017, which I am STILL waiting for a decision.  Therefore, this must be the trigger for the TBI C&P Exam.  

A few of my questions are:

1.  Why is the VA wanting a C&P for TBI when I don't have anything on E-Benefits that says TBI.  I do have Post Concussive Headaches, but not TBI.

2. Does this have anything to do with my current C&P (which is ongoing) for PTSD??? (I assume, YES; however, this concerns me, because I know how the VA can twist things.)

3.  Does the group have any advice to offer me on what I can do to keep my current 30% for Post Concussive Headaches??

4. And lastly, there are some very smart senior veterans on this Forum; therefore, I am open to any other advice offered!!!

Thank everyone in advance!!

Grumpbox

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

All those because deep in my records after waking from a coma and months after I was diagnosed with a adjustment disorder never knew what it was or that it’s also something you file for. But a Va doctor dx me in my treatment last year so I said xxxx file for it I’m 100 IU and it’s P and T. This may have been a good thing but so very stressing and taxing... I’ll explain

So I went to the doctor for my C and P for my adjustment disorder he explained it often happens after a TbI I went into describing events of when I believe it began he agreed I brought in my own medical evidence which is ok as long as it’s medical by a licensed doctor. It shows that my AD began before my TBI but my TBI exacerbated it he began he then went into my connected TBi which was 3 years before my Afghanistan deployment which I still have stressed about to this day my wife was there also described what happens in my sleep as she’s the victim of abuse in my sleep. Anyways at the end of my exam he said to me you don’t have PTSD as one of your disability he looked I said it’s because they said it was a symptom to my TBI and lumped it together and made it 70% total. He said that’s going to change he separated my TBI and PTSD and my AD by separate symptoms but not able to give a percent as to what each impairment is caused by each symptom.... that’s the kicker

The VA said what a minute his TBI review was six months ago send him to another C&P for his residuals, in the meantime I was able to get a copy of my exam before the PTSD review. And see how he listed by the symptoms it was exactly how I told him for once the doctor concurred. And the funny thing about both doctors is these doctors work in the same building so they could talk about what the issues were together. Obviously not Va employees this was outsourced to beD one in my hometown. So I went to the PTSD exam and brought in everything I had evidence wise movies of my dead friend from An IED blast screaming in pain on the gurney. I said this was what caused my PTSD not some TBI that was 3 years prior to this she was stunned agreed she had a copy of the other doctors notes her only difference was she was able to say 50 percent PTsd the other was 50 my she didn’t say anything about the Adjustment disorder.

Now for the next TBI review came I had the exams from the two prior and my last TBi review done 6 months ago. I looked at her  my wife drove me this time I said my last exam was not even close to being accurate she was like how so I said almost the entire thing. Prime example he said I had no scars he must not have been looking directly at me as I have a 3 inch tracheotomy scar in the middle of my throat she took pictures and the rest of my exam was a breeze my wife helped with what I couldn’t remember which was allot.

I have had two C&P TBI screening since getting out of Iraq in 04.  One right away and then a  couple years later.  I have never claimed anything associated with a TBI.  The examiners tell me that it is just nomal post deployment screening.  I have also had a post deployment PTSD (C&P) screening.

It could be just that.  Or related to one of your ongoing claims.  Most importantly, just go.  Don't miss an appointment with the VA ever.

Sometimes its a trigger that is in the VA system for your specific situation.  When I got out, I got the free VA 180 day dental exam.  They sent me the C&P letter and when I showed up they said the dentist had to leave, because his father just passed away, and that I could reschedule.  I told them that I had private dental insurance and see my dentist regularly and that would not be necesary.  We'll, 6 years later, I get a C&P notice for the dental clinic and went for my free (180 day) exam.  LOL..  My name must have popped up as not having it done on some checklist.

Anyway, don't sweat it, and go to the appointment,

Hamslice