VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to properly revoke a power of attorney from your veterans service organization

Rate this question

Navigator

Question

I am wondering what the proper procedure is for revoking my vso's poa and representing my claim myself.  I contacted my regional VA office in reference to the matter and they informed me that I needed to fill out a form 21-22 and fax it in to the office.  I noticed that form 21-22 is the power of attorney form for adding a vso which I do not want to do.  I looked at the form 21-22a (for adding an individual) but think it would be silly to fill out a form to give poa to myself.  I really don't want the VSO that I am currently involved with to have access to my records.  I understand from doing a few searches on this subject that it may be a difficult procedure, but I did not see anywhere that actually stated a procedure to accomplish this.  Thanks for any help in the matter.

The whole POA thing is a scam.  The CVSO (County Veterans Service Officer) require the Veteran to have a POA if you use them to send in your claims, like I do.  I chose the VFW as I am a life member, and didn't really know anything at first.  I still have them as my POA and for what its worth, 

I have never had any contact from me or to me from the VFW regards any of my claims.  The first claim I had the CVSO do the paperwork, from then on it was all me.

And I do agree with Buck, that they use my 90% stat all day long,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

I have mine with a state VSO (really it is a county). She is great, very responsive and knows what she knows. On top of that she is my friend. No problem personally. VA.gov has personal info page and it list her state organization (not her personally) as my VSO. I wonder if you can't send a letter to the VSO you want to drop and send it with a copy to your RO for them to update? I expect one of the reasons they don't want veterans  to leave them is they must get some kind of compensation from the VA based on the number of clients that they have. Just a numbers game. I've said this before, it isn't about what organization you chose, it's which individual VSO is working you claim. Veterans have to do their scouting around and get the right one.

• HadIt.com Elder

About the only way I know we can drop our Original POA  is if were denied  then we can hire an attorney or claims agent giving them POA  they will send a letter to your  ORIGINAL  POA  letting them know that the veteran hired them  and the POA automatically goes over to the new attorney.

just sending a request to your DAV/VFW/COUNTY VSO AND CC TO  YOUR R.O. TO REVOKE POA  it will be ignored....Normally it will not fly  &  your new attorney can fix this.

iT IS VERY HARD TO REVOKE  POA  without an attorneys help.

We had a big discussion on this about 10 years ago or so.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I've tried all the above  and just started working my own claims  I still sse that I have the DAV as my POA  BUT NEVER USED THEM IN 20 YEARS.

Actually it don't matter if you use them or not  I neve rhave  but they still show up a smy POA.

My last claim for PTSD  I worked it myself  but when I was approved  I got a  unofficial letter from  the DAV letting me know I have been approved  if you have any questions please notify this office   thank you for letting us assist you  or some bull crap like that.

they never did anything....but they still show up as my POA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Now with what I just mention above  please don't take me wrong  they do have some bright DAV VSO   this is just my opinion and how they did me.

if your lucky to get a decent  hard working DAV/VFW  /COUNTY  VSO  then that's fine.

Update:  After years of trying to revoke a POA, the simplest method is to grant another VSO your POA.  You dont have to actually USE them, but they are handy if they have VBMS access.  (I think this is now called the "e file", but its the same thing).