VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

3 hours ago, Navy04 said:

This stuff is starting to get expensive. I just paid 3k to get my partials, even though I have insurance. I got tired of the VA dragging their butt, even though at Tier 1 100% P&T, my dental is supposed to be top priority thru the VA. My Civilian Dentist did in 5 mths, what the VA did not in 5 years. Really Frustrating that I pay $700 a mth for insurance on the family and I, and yet still have to pay Co-Pays. Sorry for the Rant Guys, God Bless!!!

I have had implants done and my dental is amazing!  We have a private insurance plan, (pre ACA) that we still pay for and use Champva as secondary but it is no where near $700 a month it is a catastrophic plan.  One of my children is still on Tricare and I wish all of my family were on Tricare Standard now Select.  In over 27 years it has been great!  There is a catastrophic cap, and that cap is lower than any other insurance out there.  The problem I have with Champva is that no one wants to take there allowable, or even bill it.  It is horrible.  That is why we keep our other plan.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:33 PM, seminoles said:

The problem I have with Champva is that no one wants to take there allowable, or even bill it.  It is horrible.  That is why we keep our other plan.

Champva pays exactly the same that Medicare and Tricare pay. So if you can't find someone to take it... chances are they aren't going to take Medicare or Tricare either... Also Tricare nor medicare pay for dental. anyway.....and I don't think Champva does either

Edited by Richard1954
added info

On 5/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, Grumpbox said:

@Richard1954 Richard - fill me in on all should know about Medicare, please Sir??  

Lets say I do this...apply for SSD.  Naturally, I will lose my Tricare.  

Question 1. I assume my daughter who is under 18 and wife can continue to remain on Tricare?  But I will have to start Medicare, which comes out of my social security disability. The social security office told me this amount was about $134.00. However, I researched the Medicare.com site and this is for Medicare Part B.  The entire Medicare program is a conundrum to me.

Then there is drug coverage?  But can't I continue to receive this through the VA?  

No you do not lose your tricare , your family remains on tricare, in two years Medicare will allow you to buy Part B, and when you buy part B, you will pay for your family to stay on Tricare, but tricare will be free for you and becomes your second payer. You family will still have drug coverage under tricare and in your case VA.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:05 PM, Richard1954 said:

Champva pays exactly the same that Medicare and Tricare pay. So if you can't find someone to take it... chances are they aren't going to take Medicare or Tricare either... Also Tricare nor medicare pay for dental. anyway.....and I don't think Champva does either

Actually not true, I have a child on Tricare and have never had a problem with any doctor every seeing them.  Champva they won't even see you as a patient, they simply don't accept it.  The big hospitals and such do but none of the pediatricians, etc. do. If they aren't accepting your insurance you can't even pay cash here.  Currently I have one child at one doctor he has Tricare, the rest of my family is at another doctor because he accepts United Healthplan (private plan we pay for) and then we send the bill and EOB to champva after United Healthplan sends us the EOB.   Tricare also covers more, Champva covers nothing for children with autism.