VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

@Grumpbox: I am on Tricare too ( Tricare Prime- I am a "dual enrollee they call it since I have medicare and I am only 60 ) since I am Retired Navy. I have not received a bill. I have an MRI - schedule for the local Air Force Base and was told I would not receive a bill if I am seen on base. 

I too am 100% P& T and do not pay any monthly fees, since I am also on SSDI - Medicare has not been billed for any of my care or I would have received a statement. 

I had issues with the customer service Tricare - Humana ppl on the phone. I made a trip to the local Army base and contacted a representative there who, spoke with Tricare and straightened it all out. 

Mine is Tricare Select. I will be 48 this year.

dont you have to be at least 65 to qualify for ChampVa?  Also, you can’t be eligible for ChampVa if you qualify for Tricare...this confused the crap out of me!!

All is really frustrated me....

My family qualified for champ va when I was granted Permanent and total I’m in my 30s so I’m positive age wasn’t a requirement... and it’s for dependants not veterans i thought..

Edited by jfrei

13 hours ago, jfrei said:

My family qualified for champ va when I was granted Permanent and total I’m in my 30s so I’m positive age wasn’t a requirement... and it’s for dependants not veterans i thought..

@L

@vetquest

@jfrei 

@Buck52

@Berta

@broncovet

You're a lucky guy @jfrei !!  I called Champva this morning to see what hiccups I might run into before submitting my paperwork.  Now that I am 100% P&T, I've learned to call and ask before processing things.  

Turns out - I MAY NOT BE ELIGIBLE for Champva.  

Rationale: The lady I spoke with asked if I was retired military, whereby I said, yes, actually, I am medically retired from the US Army with over 20 years.  THE OVER 20yrs is what stumped her. Then she had to ask her supervisor if I was STILL ELIGIBLE.  To top things off - being that I was medically retired stumped her supervisor next, and they both were unable to tell me if my family was qualified for Champva.

In short, she said, just submit your paperwork and we will make a finally determination....

Hmm?  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I do not know why you would not be qualified for CHAMPVA. It might be worth the time to dig out your 100% P&T award letter. Granted I am not retired or medically retired, my understanding is that it is a benefit for just being 100% P&T. It should cover your dependents.

If you are having medical bills pile up for yourself, the Choice Program or fee-based care should be able to help. I'm not certain if they can be paid retroactively, but it might be able to save you money for future treatment.