VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

Grump, it is easy to apply for SSDI...just make an appointment and they do it all for you. Since your 100%, there is a good chance you will get it. Remember, SSDI also considers your non service connected maladies. 

Grump,

You do Not want to waste any monies on a Lawyer! With all you medical conditions and armed with your medical records, as well as your VA ratings, you will very likely be able to get SSD on your own. I can't figure out why you would wait to apply for a benefit that you are clearly eligible for.  Let me recommend that you first apply yourself, supply all the information they need to award SSD. If they deny you then think about a Lawyer and the appeal..  it is not impossible to get SSD with out a Lawyer, I did it myself.

Edited by Richard1954

@Richard1954 Richard - fill me in on all should know about Medicare, please Sir??  

Lets say I do this...apply for SSD.  Naturally, I will lose my Tricare.  

Question 1. I assume my daughter who is under 18 and wife can continue to remain on Tricare?  But I will have to start Medicare, which comes out of my social security disability. The social security office told me this amount was about $134.00. However, I researched the Medicare.com site and this is for Medicare Part B.  The entire Medicare program is a conundrum to me.

Then there is drug coverage?  But can't I continue to receive this through the VA?  

There is a lot of "ifs" here. You don't lose your Tricare. The Social Security Administration will automatically have Medicare kick in after 2 years of being on SSDI. I believe, at that point your primary health care will be Medicare and Tricare will pick up anything that Medicare doesn't cover. It's a really good deal.

i am 100% P&T, I have SSDI and I use Tricare. My 2 years on SSDI comes up in Nov but I also turn 65. Therefore, I will have Medicare and Tricare.

I forgot, you will have to pay the $134 for Medicare Part B. However, the benifits of nearly no limits on coverage, made and I think no copay makes up for.