Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO Recommendations

Rate this question

Galen Rogers

Question

Howdy All,

My local AMVets rep (Quantico) quit and now they are scrambling to find someone else and are not taking any new claims on. It could be several months. There is also a Virginia Veterans Admin office on Quantico and they say they also help with VA claims. I know the individual VSO is more important than what organization they represent. Can anyone refer me to a VSO that actively participates in the process and is not just a pass thru window in the Fredericksburg, VA area or  one who can deal with me over the phone and internet?

As a Squid :-), you may have an initial reluctance to contact the Marine Corps League regarding VSO-POA Representation. You don't have to be a Jar Head and they've served me well since 2013 after I broomed my VVFW Rep (2 man office at RO).

You just have to do your initial Due Diligence in Vetting their local VARO HQ office. Mine has 2 Clerical, an MFIC and a couple Reps plus a Retired RO Sr DRO that only works on DRO Hearing Days. Prompt return of calls, emails, and faxes are the Norm, rather than the exception.

Galen, very good question. my opinion for what it's worth.

The VSO is just another tool in YOUR toolbox. The organization rep is more important than the organization itself. WWP rep can be great in San Diego and the Rep in Norfolk might not measure up.

What I learned to get from them is a glimpse at my file and where it stands in the process. They can get information to the RO easier and faster than you can.  I wouldn't expect any of them to be more knowledgeable about your claims than you should be.

I found myself interested in your comment: "...Virginia Veterans Admin office on Quantico and they say they also help with VA claims..."  It's possible they are not overwhelmed with claimants.

I am currently using a state veterans officer.  As others have said the VSO is more important than the organization, also you are your best representative.  I use a VSO but write all of my own appeals and other data.  I use the VSO to get information and contact the V.A.  That worked better for me after a VSO forgot to file a form 9 in my case and I was told my claim was dead.  I researched this and found back then a written letter could substitute for a form 9.  I went to three VSO's before I found one that believed me.

Thanks all. At the end of the day I agree we are the one that is totally responsible for our claim.  The more I research the more I find that there is a ton of information on the web plus you all here that can help make or break a claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm done with my claims unless another A.O.Presumptive condition arises  and its on the list.

I agree with Vetquest to a certain point  getting information we need via computer a VSO is good.

However if I was going to file and needed help with it  I would request/hire Alex Graham (aka Asknod)

He is a certified trained Veteran Service Agent Rep & a darn intelligent one that knows VA Law.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Galen, don't discount the fact the the VSO rep can help. Definitely seek one out and enlist their aid. Unless, you can afford an attorney.

My comment was about putting all your concerns in their hands. They are not going to help you by being your research and strategy team. They are not going to be a pen pal.  In fact, from my experience and what I read here, they are only slightly responsive to real time communications   And, they are not accountable. Some folks have no computer and/or no internet service and/or capability. They are forced by circumstances to rely mostly on their VSO rep. I wish there were more reach out programs for them. With few exceptions, many of the folks that visit this site need to be the CEO of their VA claims.

That said, they can be the hammer when you need to pound nails.