• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  

Question

So on my threads about my first claim under AMA I stated I put this here to track time and the AMA process.

My claim for Voiding Dysfunction was filed on May 8 2019  and closed June 16th 2019 (according to VA.GOV)

so basically 36 days.

I was denied, and will start writing my NOD.

What is new besides the speed, is that on Ebenefits yesterday I noticed a new entry under my listed Disabilities.

It will be good for others to start tracking this to see if this remains the standard.

It was marked Pending Claims.

Today after visiting VA.Gov and seeing my claim closed I went to Ebennies and looked under Disabilities and the DENIED claims are already showing.

This is a change in process. It used to take some time to get Ebennies updated. usually at least 10 days.

today however, the day after VA.gov says the claim closed, I see the following

It will be good for others to start tracking this to see if this remains the standard

I am tagging in a few people who I know are active here and may have recent claims under AMA.

@paulstrgn

@vetquest

@shrekthetank1

@Buck52

@jamesriley1990

@richard1234

@Oceanbound

@Richard1954

@Amazing Becky

hopefully you all will help track this change. It can alleviate some of the "wait time" stress as we look for the BBE in the mail. If you all see someone asking about processing time for a claim please ask them to track for this notification under Ebenefits Disability link.

Rated Disabilities

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
bilateral hearing loss 0% Service Connected   08/20/2018
tinnitus 10% Service Connected   11/30/2012
post traumatic stress disorder with bipolar II disorder (previously rated with major depressive disorder, psychotic features ) 100% Service Connected

PTSD

08/16/2018

benign prostate hypertrophy

Not Service Connected    

urinary incontinence

Not Service Connected    

erectile dysfunction

0% Service Connected   08/20/2018

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

30% Service Connected   08/20/2018
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Amazing Becky said:

paying more attention to both ebennies and va.gov. 

please do. we all benefit from more information on what, how, and when the new processes trigger notifications.

2) I have not been keeping up with e benies or vagov but will again but not daily since I'm in the 9th inning stretch after going to the BVA and tying up loose ends after getting the results in April.

3) I just found out that in April I got granted Chornic cystitis after it went to the BVA. Now gotta appeal that for the correct EED.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:06 PM, Richard1954 said:

I did notice that ebenefits was updating fairly quick, I noticed this over a month ago when my new  left knee claim ( secondary to right knee) rating showed up on ebenifits before I got  the letter. Last week I noticed that the va rated me 0% for scars on my right knee from a 1986 surgery... I didn't ask for this rating, it just appeared because I had a reevaluation of my right knee which had not been reevaluated for C/P purposes since 1986.  I still have not received a rating letter, but Saturday I did receive a letter telling me I could file for veterans disability life insurance ... this was mailed apparently in response to the new 0% evaluation. My right knee ratings haven't change or increased, so it looks like my request was denied.... I also requested service connected for Chronic Laryngitis & Dysphagia which was diagnosed by a va ENT doctor who said the problem is a result of the  steroids used for my lung disease.  Ebenfits shows it deferred, today I received a letter for a c/p exam to be done at the VA Hospital ( not contractors)  Ironically, they did the C/P exam on my Knee in May. why they did not order a c/p for my throat then is beyond me....  Anyway.. I agree Ebenefits is updating quicker... and it also has show at the bottom of the disabilities page any pending claims... See what I mean below:

Rated Disabilities

bilateral hearing loss 0% Service Connected   06/02/2005
low back strain with degenerative disc disease with left foot drop (previously rated as 5295-5293) 60% Service Connected   09/18/1998
tinnitus 10% Service Connected   06/02/2005
dysphonia   Deferred    
abnormal heart   Not Service Connected    
right knee sprain with torn medial meniscus, with instability 10% Service Connected   02/27/2001

left knee torn medial meniscus 

10% Service Connected   09/28/2016
residuals of traumatic brain injury, to include memory loss and encephalomalcia involving left frontal pole 40% Service Connected   09/20/2016
right knee sprain with torn medial meniscus, with limited motion 10% Service Connected   02/27/2001

scars, right knee 

0% Service Connected   05/17/2018
bronchial asthma with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive apnea 100% Service Connected   01/31/2007
chronic laryngitis with dysphonia   Deferred    
status post cataract extraction surgery left eye with pigmentary glaucoma, pigmentary dispersion syndrome, and optic nerve damage with moderate posterior subscapular cataract, right eye 30% Service Connected   04/18/2008
claimed anal impairment and loss of sphincter control as related to hemorrhoids   Not Service Connected    
hemorrhoids 10% Service Connected   11/14/2000
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 30% Service Connected   05/03/2005
epididymitis 0% Service Connected   11/14/2000
sinusitis 10% Service Connected   01/27/2004
allergic rhinitis 10% Service Connected   06/10/1986
chronic right knee sprain with torn medical meniscus 10% Service Connected   06/10/1986

Pending Disabilities

Disability Submitted Type Actions
Chronic Laryngitis With Dysphonia 2nd To S/c Copd 05/10/2019 SEC View Pending Claim
5260 Right Knee Currently Rated 10 04/29/2019 INC View Pending Claim
5257 Right Knee Currently Rated 10 04/29/2019 INC View Pending Claim

I was just denied  pigmentary glaucoma, pigmentary dispersion syndrome among other eye conditions as not service connected / congenital/hereditary. Would you be able to speak with me regarding your claim and what was submitted? I provided an IMO, nexus letter, service treatment records and 20 years of civilian eye records - still denied. I am starting a NOD, but not sure what to put in it. I do not have any additional records or details to submit.

1 hour ago, Wendy Ramirez said:

I was just denied  pigmentary glaucoma, pigmentary dispersion syndrome among other eye conditions as not service connected / congenital/hereditary. Would you be able to speak with me regarding your claim and what was submitted? I provided an IMO, nexus letter, service treatment records and 20 years of civilian eye records - still denied. I am starting a NOD, but not sure what to put in it. I do not have any additional records or details to submit

In my case my eye disability is secondary to steroid use for my service connected Asthma/COPD. Originally,  my eyes were service connected for cataracts caused by steroids , during the surgery the VA doctors placed the replacement lens too close to my iris. This caused pigmentary dispersion syndrome when eventually ( less than a month after surgery) led to pigmentary glaucoma. I was rated 30%. I continued to have problems with the left eye to include loss of sight because of spikes in pressure as high as 43. I submitted new claims of which one ended up at the BVA last year after waiting 9 years for a decision it was denied. Finally after 12 years ( in Feb 2019 ) the VA rated me 60% for the left eye, only after the rating schedule was changed in early 2019. The schedule now allows for a rating based on incapacitating episodes that required medical intervention and treatment. I was rated 60% because I had over 7 treatments for bleeding in the eye, and high spikes, actually within 4 months I received 27 treatments because no sooner would the eye heal then it would start all over again. This problem is a life long problem that can only be resolved by removal of the implanted lens , but because the lens has been in place since 2008, the surgery is a high risk surgery and I would have an 80% chance of a detached retina. I had  backed out of two surgeries in the past but based on the new medical evidence of a week ago ,  I doubt I will have any more surgeries.  I really don't think my case can help you as it went from a secondary service connected issue to an 1151 claim.  All I did was to keep good medical records, from both the VA and Fort Hood Doctors and was frustrated when I kept getting a denial for increase. If they had not added incapacitating episodes as rating criteria  I would still be fighting the system  

Rated Disabilities

bilateral hearing loss 0% Service Connected   06/02/2005
tinnitus 10% Service Connected   06/02/2005
low back strain with degenerative disc disease with left foot drop 60% Service Connected   09/18/1998
residuals of traumatic brain injury, to include memory loss and encephalomalcia involving left frontal pole 40% Service Connected   09/20/2016
right knee sprain with torn medial meniscus, with limited motion 10% Service Connected   02/27/2001

scars, right knee

0% Service Connected   05/17/2018
bronchial asthma with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive apnea 100% Service Connected   01/31/2007

status post cataract extraction surgery left eye with pigmentary glaucoma, pigmentary dispersion syndrome, and optic nerve damage with moderate posterior subscapular cataract, right eye, postoperative

60% Service Connected   02/28/2019

chronic laryngitis with dysphonia

10% Service Connected   05/10/2019
left knee torn medial meniscus 10% Service Connected   09/28/2016
hemorrhoids 10% Service Connected   11/14/2000

claimed anal impairment and loss of sphincter control

Not Service Connected    
presbyopia/astigmatism   Not Service Connected    
epididymitis 0% Service Connected   11/14/2000
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 30% Service Connected   05/03/2005

abnormal heart

Not Service Connected    
sinusitis 10% Service Connected   01/27/2004
allergic rhinitis 10% Service Connected   06/10/1986
chronic right knee sprain with torn medical meniscus with instability 10% Service Connected

Edited by Richard1954

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kihr
      Yesterday my claim moved to Prep for decision, this was a week after my latest C&P, I was feeling optimistic that the estimated completion date of 9/4 was reasonable.  Today it moved back to review of evidence and my date oushed to 9/14.  This is a claim with 1 increase, 2 new, 2 secondary.  I filed my claim 9/24/18 it seems like a long time for a claim.

Anyway, my question is: have any of you had the claim move from "prep for Decision" only to regress to review of evidence?  If so, what was the timeline like?
    • By cavscout1967
      Hello, I checked ebenefits and it said I received a GRANT from the CAVC for increased rating "anklyosis of the shoulder." I had appealed for depression and anxiety as well and they were not addressed on ebenefits so I am guessing it is still on remand at the BVA level. Ebenefits also stated that my remand would take 16-24 months. I am currently 60% with 10 for tinnitus, 20 for ankle, 20 for shoulder, 20 for shoulder radicupathy, 10 for knee. What does all this mean? if I am not providing the information needed for input I am happy to do that but at this time I dont know what else to provide you guys.
      Thank you.
    • By GeekySquid
      I made the first post under the AMA forum about my 1st Claim under the AMA process.
      I put it up to track the dates and times things took
      I filed that post May 8 2019 the same day I filed the claim
      On May 17 I was emailed that VES was looking for a Doctor.
      on May 20th I found out my C&P was on May 24th
      On May 29th VA.GOV said estimated completion date was Oct 22, two days later it went to Oct 23rd.
      The next week VA posted they had sent a Request for Clarification.
      No change until this morning at 4 a.m. PST. The status went to Preparing for notification with a completion date of 17 June.
      Since I am OCD and have taken the good advice not to obsess over what Ebennies and now VA.GOV says about estimated completion dates.
      I limit myself to checking it once in the morning, usually around 4 a.m. and once around 8 p.m.
      So that is what makes this a little funny. Last night at 8 p.m. the status was still Oct 23rd, but by 4 a.m. PST it changed to June 17th.
      It appears someone was working overtime or literally waited to Saturday morning to flip that date switch.
      I don't know for sure.
      So now the wait begins.
      What I know for sure is the Dr. was a idiot and not qualified in Urology or anything else I am rated for. He is only licensed as a General Practioneer
      I posted his weak credentials elsewhere. basically he has never practiced medicine, He just does C&P's and probably insurance evals.
      I suspect I will be filing a NOD.
      I do know that since the change on VA.GOV I am sure the RO has the DBQ, so I will go down and see if I can get that one and the other three I need.
      That alone is logistical chore but I will figure that out. The wheel chair and all the hills near the VARO make getting there a bit much.
      I will post again when the date changes and see if I start my wait for the BBE or if they bounce it back again.
    • By GeekySquid
      Interesting little blip I discovered today and am wondering if anyone else has seen these same things under the AMA process.
      -----------------------
      The situation:
      I just applied for a rating for Voiding Dysfunction as the VA said I had a possible claim when they granted my ED claim.
      The whole C&P was a joke and I suspect I will  have to appeal based on the fact the Dr was not qualified among other reasons.
      However, the blip is that today I went to VA.gov to check the status. I do this to track how many days it takes to get to each stage.
      In the file today I noticed it had two closed requests so I went looking around. Both requests are marked closed
      Documents filed
      Request 2
      Exam Request - Request for Clarification  ---Now who they sent this too and if it means the VA has the C&P is up in the air. I will call peggy on monday to find out.
      No longer needed Request 1
      Exam Request - Processing
      No longer needed   -------------------- One the files tab under additional evidence was this line
      Additional evidence
      File:
      Type: VA 21-4192 Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability

Now the blip is that I own my own company, and nowhere in the claim application, C&P, or my VA files is the name and address of my company. Nowhere is there a reference to the fact that I own a company. This is intentional on my part.  The Dr who did this C&P did not ask who I worked for or what type of work I did. He only asked how my BPH was service connected and how having to pee a lot impacted my work.
      I have not received that request form and of course the VA does not show dates sent.
      But VA.gov does show that 2 requests were made and both were closed on May 15th and 17th respectively.
      I am 100% P&T and generally work at my office or home.
      In none of my claims has there ever been a letter from the VA asking about my employment and I don't remember ever seeing that Form Name or Number on any of my previous claims in Ebenefits. I searched my existing C-File copy and that form is not in there at all.
      I am wondering if this is a new thing under AMA and who they sent that form too. It is aimed at an Employer not at the SSA.
      I am also wondering if I will be able to get the form and who they sent it too from the VARO office when I go get the C&P once I know it has been brought into the VA system.
      -----------------------------------------
      There is also this under additional evidence
      Additional evidence
      File:
      Type: VA 21-8940 Veterans Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability

I did not file an IU request. I am 100% already. IU would be moot.  I searched my C-File for this one too and that form has never been recorded into the C-file.
      ----------------------------
       I don't know if the presence of these files is some automatic thing under AMA. I will have to look and see if they are just new form names and numbers under AMA, but either way they were never sent to me or filled out by me in any of my claims.

• By GeekySquid
      Hey All,
      This is posted just as information and to put a clock on the claim since the AMA process that started Feb 19, 2019. I don't believe AMA will affect this claim.
      I am also posting this so when I do get a decision I can come back here and review my thinking and rationalizations that I will list below. sorry it is so long.
      As a note anyone with an ED award secondary to PTSD, and who has any type of leaking, might consider a claim for Voiding Dysfunction or other related Genitourinary problem.
      I filed this claim today, May 8, 2019.
      This claim is a Secondary Claim suggested by an existing SC award for PTSD.
      In a 2018 Award for SMC (K), ED secondary to ptsd, I was notified of another potential claim for Voiding Dysfunction.
      I filed an Intent to File in 2018.
      This was all under the Legacy system, not RAMP.
      Things I don't know about Claims processing since AMA went into effect:
      1) I don't know how this claim will process since AMA seems to deal mainly with Appeals instead of a new claim filing or secondary claim filing.
      2) I don't know if this will go into the national queue or be done directly by my local RO, which is Seattle.
      3) I don't know for sure how the VA will view this claim, meaning will I need a C&P, since they suggested the claim and I submitted a very detailed Statement in Support of Claim form vba-21-4138-are. I know that some consider this the most useless form in the VA library, but since I want to test the process in their suggested way I will use this form. I used the DBQ criteria and Rating criteria to write the factual information for the claim. I was truthful and exact as possible.
      4) To upload that vba-21-4138-are, I had to select Buddy/Lay statement as the type of document.
      5) I uploaded the Award letter that contained the recommendation to file for Voiding Dysfunction.
      6) Voiding Dysfunction did not exist in the category of Secondary claim I had to select from so I chose genitourinary as that is the broadest related category they showed me related to this condition and the ratings table for genitourinary contains Voiding dysfunction ratings.
      ------
      I am going to guess, and this is probably really just wishful thinking, that this will be a rocket docket process for this claim.
      I think that because I am already SC for a known related condition that this is claimed secondary too. The VA has lots of medical literature connecting the two.
      I think since they suggested it as part of their Duty to Assist/Notify, that will ease the processing/decision time
      I think giving a detailed State. in Sup. of Claim (vba-21-4138-are) using the information from the Rating Table and DBQ, they may not even need a C&P. This is because in my case, my Primary Care Doc has ordered appropriate pads for me. I have a diagnosis of BPH. I am awarded SMC (K) for ED as a secondary, and I am 100% SC for PTSD.
      I explicitly stated pad usage, urinary frequency for day and night times and the effect it has on my life. All of which are part of the Rating Table and DBQ.
      I think I will get rated at the max, 60% but there is a path that puts it as SMC (K) and I think (but am not sure) that we can get multiple SMC (K) awards but I don't know if they will just 0% it and award SMC (K) or rate it at 20, 40 or 60 and award SMC (K) or bump me to SMC (S) which I have found is met with a single 100% coupled to a 60% rating (even combined I believe). Either way, if an award is granted I end up with more money each month. The third rating outcome would be 0% SC without SMC (K) or (s) and that would be depressing.
      ------------
      I am also wondering if @Tbird will consider creating a user-contributed database of Secondary Conditions Connections. It could be a very helpful resource and would be a unique resource for Veterans trying to figure out what their conditions might extend too if the medical facts concur. The SEO value would be huge if done right. Veterans are searching the internet for SC conditions every single day by the thousands.
      I don't now who hosts Hadit, but they should have a free SQL database engine and interface available and the design is literally the most basic. For example the user Selects from a list, I am Rated X%, then selects for Y condition from another list, and Secondary to that I am rated Z. This last could be a combo of user input and list. The ability to input could easily be condition on membership, free or paid or allow both.
      Indexing the Y condition would allow displaying the listed secondaries reported by the users and even could say when they were input into the datebase to give a time reference. Indexing the Secondaries would display possible primary conditions to associate to.
      The search could be that the user selects " I am primary for Y what are possible secondaries." The other search is "I have Z what is it secondary too." Only two public searches (queries) needed. 3 basic public tables (4 of date included in database is shown). Output would be a simple HTML list.
      If anyone else thinks that DB would be helpful please chime in.
      I will update this as I find things out.  That advent of the AMA and cancellation of RAMP changes things in ways we just don't know yet.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines