Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

EED Appeal completed in 23 Days

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In regard to you moving and using a new VAHC, this holds for anyone receiving care at a "new" facility. Be sure to tell them of all your medical conditions. meds, etc.and make them aware that not all of your medical records don't show UNLESS they make the necessary extra work of checking  a separate VA system. Not all VA input folks know this, and it of course it could be dangerous situation. It happened to me when my regular Ct. VA couldn't see that I went to a R.I.

Who knows paul?!?  I cannot understand the VA and how they do things.  My case is listed as exceeding the projected time to consider.  I will most likely call IRIS on Monday. 

2 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

I faxed it in, it took almost 2 1/2 weeks to show up in Vets.gov. It was pretty much straight forward though, there was a system glitch and it did not pick up the date of 2/17/2019, instead it showed as if I had filed in mid May. Once I received the original decision I filled out the forms, printed out the screen shots in eBenefits showing I had started a claim in Feb. So in my opinion it was pretty easy for the VA to fix. It was only a three month EED so we are not talking much money. But I wanted needless to say...lol.

Congrats!  That's seriously excellent!

As for the system glitch -- maybe not 😕

There is a severe backlog on the mail since AMA came out.  I heard a statistic last month (not saying where) that 20% of the volume of mail for the entire VBA for May was directed to the DROCs.  To 2 locations that aren't even fully staffed yet.  The process is:  1) mail/fax your documents to an evidence intake center where the contract scanner scans it/them and uploads them to the digital mail system; and 2) wait for VA personnel to "process" that mail.  Open it; review it; put it in the Veteran's claim folder; and take initial action (create claim, etc).  However, it's possible that there is a huge backlog of mail because Veterans are taking advantage of this new opportunity to get their claims reviewed and everyone and their brother is sending in stuff.  It's possible for that mail to sit in there for a couple months before folks can start processing it.  It's also possible that folks who don't normally process incoming mail might get the opportunity to help reduce that backlog, which brings its own problems.  People doing what they don't normally do, don't always get it done right.  Even if they really want to.  Add in that the AMA is seriously young and the bugs/kinks are still being worked out in the process AND the software...

In my humble opinion, your most timely option is to submit your claim and documents through eBenefits.  It is an immediate process.  Hypothetically, I could be talking to a Veteran on the phone and mention that I need a statement on a particular issue and the Veteran could say, "I have it right here."  I could suggest that the Veteran upload the document through eBenefits (after verifying they have an account set up) and I could literally see the document appear in the folder while I'm still on the phone with the Veteran...hypothetically.  Doing that bypasses the evidence intake center and the mail processing issue.  The "system" creates the claim and your documents go directly in your folder without further processing by folks who might, on occasion, put'em in the wrong place.

Just sayin' 🙂 

Phury

9 hours ago, vetquest said:

I will most likely call IRIS on Monday. 

I call them a lot when I have a claim pending, sometimes twice a week. You might want to call the White House 800# as well, it can't hurt. Good luck.

8 hours ago, Phury & Rhage said:

that 20% of the volume of mail for the entire VBA for May was directed to the DROCs. 

Phury, now you mention BVA. My EED was the supplemental evidence lane (am calling it wrong I believe) and did not go to the BVA. My claim also sat in the fax claim portal forever, the majority of the 23 days in fact. I was told that it was up to the RO to actually put it into claims. 

I work for the federal government also and we have a huge paper intake center, in fact we have 4 different contract in take centers around the US. We get backed logged all the time as well, that is the governments fault in my opinion. For it is up to the government to higher enough contractors to cover the workload. I also believe that the VA needs to open up more intake centers, having one is asking for trouble. 

I wish you can upload higher level reviews through eBenefits also, it is more efficient and it is there immediately. Hopefully the VA goes to that sometime soon.

As a side note I always start a new claim within 1 - 2 days after submitting a claim, this way I have a new effective date for any future claims providing I file within one year. JMO