Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SA Equipment and Supplies

paulstrgn

Question

Now that I have been approved for SA how do I get the VA to buy my supplies and replace my CPAP from time to time?

Do I go to the VA hospital to do this? If so, do I need to worry about the VA trying to say my SA is getting better and try to reduce me? 

I have never had the VA give me anything (meds, supplies, etc) before. I get all my meds through the military since I am retired.

Thanks for your responses.

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

what benefit was  the proposal for?

Buck the VA wants to reduce my IVDS/scoliosis (20% down to 10%) and both legs for the femoral nerve issues (20% down to 0%). This proposal came after I filed a reconsideration for an increase to my back and SC for both knees. They denied my knees out right and sent a proposal to reduce my back and legs since supposedly they have gotten better (which they have not). The DBQ was done by a QTC doctor who put false information on it. I know this because I had a FOIA request pending at the time and when completed had the DBQ in it. The QTC doctor told me he could not measure me because my back was so bad and not to worry that he would write it up as serve. He said there was no place in his system to put in measurements (he showed me his computer screen). Like a fool I believed that he would take care of it, needless to say I was wrong.

After I got the DBQ I called the White House hot line about the problem and the proposal to reduce, I wrote to QTC about the problem (they put me in the system never to be seen by him again). After a few weeks of the WH not getting a response by the regional office I emailed the assistant director in Roanoke and asked her why her office had not responded to the WH. I got a call the same day from someone from her staff and have been in constant contact with him ever since (he gave me his phone number).

The proposal to reduce is on hold until the VA rates my SA and hypertension from the BVA SC grant. I am scheduled for a hearing which will need to be done on the phone since I am on a driving restriction (the RO is about 3 hours away). I submitted a copy of all the doctors notes for this restriction (I have been on it about 1 1/2 years now) and that I am being treated by pain management for my back and legs. Long story short my back has gotten worse (I am now down to 70" in height which is down from 74 1/2 during the military time). My curve is getting worse and I am seeing my PCM to get a referral to an orthopedic to see what if anything can be done. Unless the VA increases my back (which I doubt) I will file an appeal based on the proposal to reduce whether they leave it the same or decrease my ratings).

I will use part of the retro pay to have an IMO done on my back (I will contact Dr. Bash), I will see what he says. 

Paul never be afraid to go to your VA Hospital for anything  and do not think they will reduce your benefits just because you use the VA Hospital  THAT IS A TOTAL MYTH

Buck I must admit that is a concern of mine but I will try them for the CPAP and the hoses and mask (I am tired of my co-pays for these things). I do not use the VA hospital for anything except for the two times I have been to the one in Hampton VA. I wanted glasses and had to see a PCM there in order to see an eye doctor. The PCM there looked at me one time and the rest of the time read off lab results that I had done at Ft. Eustis when I had my annual check up. At the end she said she will see me next time which I thought to myself no you won't for it was a waste of time. I did get my free glasses but decided it was not worth it.

I don't believe in service connecting everything that's wrong with me 

I understand why you are not, as you say there is no more $$$ in the pot for you. I will continue (maybe) until I can get SMC (s) which may be a long shot at best. As I mentioned above I will continue about my back. I will also file for an increase on my feet (they have been giving me a lot of problems) after I see the civilian podiatrist and depending on what they say I will get an IMO from them and then file for an increase. I also filed a CUE on my hand last week which I will see what they will do. Because of my hypertension I am concerned about strokes and heart conditions and will file secondary claims possibly for those depending on what the doctors say (until I reach the 10 year mark I want to make sure my wife is eligible for DIC benefits).  

• HadIt.com Elder

I Roger that  Paul!  and I don't blame you my friend.

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, paulstrgn said:

Buck I must admit that is a concern of mine but I will try them for the CPAP and the hoses and mask (I am tired of my co-pays for these things). I do not use the VA hospital for anything except for the two times I have been to the one in Hampton VA. I wanted glasses and had to see a PCM there in order to see an eye doctor. The PCM there looked at me one time and the rest of the time read off lab results that I had done at Ft. Eustis when I had my annual check up. At the end she said she will see me next time which I thought to myself no you won't for it was a waste of time. I did get my free glasses but decided it was not worth it.

I understand why you are not, as you say there is no more $$$ in the pot for you. I will continue (maybe) until I can get SMC (s) which may be a long shot at best. As I mentioned above I will continue about my back. I will also file for an increase on my feet (they have been giving me a lot of problems) after I see the civilian podiatrist and depending on what they say I will get an IMO from them and then file for an increase. I also filed a CUE on my hand last week which I will see what they will do. Because of my hypertension I am concerned about strokes and heart conditions and will file secondary claims possibly for those depending on what the doctors say (until I reach the 10 year mark I want to make sure my wife is eligible for DIC benefits).  

Yeah I learned over the years never trust a C&P Examiner for his/her word.

''I'll take care of it''  or'' I am not the one who makes the decision'' , ''I will study your C-File Before I write up My report  or Fill in the DBQ''.......Usually when an examiner tells a veteran that  kind of thing  usually spells trouble for the Veteran. (DENIAL)

9 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I learned over the years never trust a C&P Examiner for his/her word.

Last week when the RO office called me I told them that the vets are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the doctors who perform C&P exams. I told him that you don't want to piss the doctor off by telling him/her they are doing it wrong because we want a fair exam, so we are at their mercy. I told him that when the doctor examined me they never performed the DeLuca standard by performing reputations (that is where I have the most loss of use for my back). He seemed to understand where I was coming from and the difficult position vets are in when it comes to these C&Ps.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:13 AM, broncovet said:

Im going to look into this (that a so clean can damage the cpap), but my intuitive thinking is that VA says that because they dont want to pay for a soclean machine.

There is a lot of research on the internet that indicates so-clean ozone breaks down the rubber seals in the machines...